44g Corner Tank Lighting Issues - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
44g Corner Tank Lighting Issues

Hello All, I have a problem.

I have a 44g corner Tank with 2 discus & 2 Bolivian Ram (and I'm thinking of adding a Bushy Nose Pleco) that I want to/am trying to make into a nice planted tank.

The problem is this; the lid has 2 light ports but they only fit the lights you would put over a 10g aquarium (roughly 20"x4" openings) So for now I have 2 18w fluorescent lights over it now for a whopping 36w, which makes for a unimpressive .81 wpg. Oh the other part is that the tank is 25" deep. As you can imagine My plants are having issues, so I figure my first problem is lighting. I eventually plan on adding CO2 as well. For the record I am trying to keep this as low tech as possible.

So thats the problem, the question is this: What should I light the tank with? I'd like to keep the lid on the tank because of pets and child And I'm trying to stay away from MH if I can. The options I have found are: 2 36w PCF retrokits for 1.6wpg or 1 18.5" 1x 96W CF Daylight Quad PCF retro kit. for 2.18wpg. The latter would require me to modify the hood so the 'light openings' combine to form 1 large 'light opening'. ( I could modify even more and go with 2 of the 96w Quads, for 4.36wpg, but that is starting to get un-simple )

Sorry this is so scatter brained

I should mention my plants include:
1 Amazon Sword
2 Java Fern
Multiple Clumps of Cabomba
And I'm looking for some more short plants and carpet plants.
My substrate is a gravel laterite mix, and I dose some "Leaf Zone" weekly.

Well this disaster of a post has gone on long enough, thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 04:46 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to the_noobinator
i'd go for the 96W retro kit, simply for the fact that you'd only have to replace 1 bulb.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
30gal extra high:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

10gal:

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

As far as the retro kits, I would just make a canopy for them.

Do you think the 96w would be enough?

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 06:48 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (12/100%)
Send a message via MSN to saint27 Send a message via Yahoo to saint27
Someone else from Montana. I am not alone any more! Where abouts you from? I think that the 96W will be plenty if you want to keep it low tech, plus the advantage of having one bulb to replace.

High Tech:
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 07:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to the_noobinator
i mean it's over 2wpg, so yes, but not enough to keep high-light plants well.

30gal extra high:

10gal:

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saint27
Someone else from Montana. I am not alone any more! Where abouts you from?
I'm from Billings. Are you a Carroll College fan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_noobinator
i mean it's over 2wpg, so yes, but not enough to keep high-light plants well.
So does that mean the Amazon Sword is doomed? Or will the 2.18wpg be enough? My other question would be, If I add another 96w later would that cause any problems?

I guess I'll have to find out Now I just need to save a few bucks for the retro kit.

Thanks for the input.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 09:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via AIM to TheOtherGeoff Send a message via MSN to TheOtherGeoff
only thing i see bad about the 96 watt retro is the bulb is 3 foot long.

you might be able to get away with a 2x55 kit though.

The Fish Tank, Tranquility in Motion

all gone now

Planted discus has come to an end.......but only for
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 09:37 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (12/100%)
Send a message via MSN to saint27 Send a message via Yahoo to saint27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtfish
I'm from Billings. Are you a Carroll College fan?

Well considering I graduated and played football there I would saw I am a pretty big fan. My senior year first of the four the national championships.

I have kept a Amazon Sword in a 20L with nothing but the strip light the tank came with and it was constanly out growing my tank. I had to trim it back at least once a month.

Just from my expirence the more light you have the more work the tank is going to be and the harder it is going to be to keep the plants ahead of the algea

High Tech:
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff
only thing i see bad about the 96 watt retro is the bulb is 3 foot long.

you might be able to get away with a 2x55 kit though.
The 96w I'm talking about is the quad. It's 18.5 inches.
Example of 18.5" 96w

Carroll27 I figured you would be a fan, I thought you may have played. Thats pretty cool. Thanks for the info on the light, I think my major problem is the depth of the tank, it's 25" a 20L is in the 12-14" range (Or so) I took have the stock light over a 20L and am growing the offshoots from the larger sword.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 11:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

If you have room in the 2 fixtures, try the 2 X 55 W retrofit (ie 22") or 2 X 36 W retrofit (ie 18") .

http://www.ahsupply.com/36-55w.htm

The WPG is a general guide that works best for normal rectangle tanks. Extra shallow/deep and odd sizes are exceptions.

Moved to Tucson.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 11:33 PM

go the MH i reckon on a corner tank, i know you don't wan't to go down that road but you may find it cheaper and more efficient to run than fluros plus the light looks better if that makes any sense, more natural.
just my 2 bob.
adam
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 04:54 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
I think I just went through the same thing with the same tank. 44 gal 'pentagon' corner unit from Perfecto? (kind of a tall rectangle with the front corner chopped off?)
Best solution I came up with was to replace the hood with the glass canopy from Perfecto, www.thatpetplace.com has them for 20USD. Then you can mount a 20 inch unit above it no problem. I have the 96W Coralife and it seems good, no complaints so far (1 week in). You have much more options with the canopy rather than the hood.

Steve
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 05:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.hes
I think I just went through the same thing with the same tank. 44 gal 'pentagon' corner unit from Perfecto? (kind of a tall rectangle with the front corner chopped off?)
Thats the one, I didn't about lighting when I bought it, just that it fit so well in the corner I wanted it in.

Quote:
Best solution I came up with was to replace the hood with the glass canopy from Perfecto, www.thatpetplace.com has them for 20USD. Then you can mount a 20 inch unit above it no problem. I have the 96W Coralife and it seems good, no complaints so far (1 week in). You have much more options with the canopy rather than the hood.

Steve
That is a much better solution!!! I'd rather do that than modify my hood. I had no idea that they made the glass canopy, I had looked a few places too. I was going to see if I could have some glass cut locally, but not any more! I just ordered that canopy.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 08:15 AM
Algae Grower

I had the same problem
Bought a Juwel Trigon 190 corner aquarium (before I knew about plants etc)

Ended up getting AH Supply 2x55W and building a canopy
Works great, easy to fit, had the top replaced with glass I had cut
at a local store

Jobs a good un !

I reject your reality and substitute my own

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Are you happy with the amount of light? Is it intense enough for your short/carpet plants & other l ight demanding plants? Would it be too bright so some?

Sorry, I'm new at the whole plant thing.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode