Corys all on their sides and one dead...help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 01:01 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (59/100%)
Corys all on their sides and one dead...help

OK so I did my 50% water change last night, and did a major pruning and a 1:20 bleach dip and rescape as I had a slight bout of hair algae. After thorough rinsing of everything, and a Prime and water soak, I replanted, did a thorough gravel vacuum, and a filter cleaning. This morning, all of the corys were sluggish, and some were on their sides. The livebearers, neons and rainbows were perky as usual, and the plecos and otos all busy doing the norm. I did another immediate water change, in case something happened....that is my first quick response to situations like this. Well, a Schwarzi and a Panda are dead and 3 greens are on their sides, one with a red spot on his side. Again all of the rest of the fish are all fine doing the norm. Even the shrimp are all eating and active. All I can deduce so far is that the critters that hang out on the bottom are ill, but the shoalers and top swimmers are all fine.l What do you think could be the issue? I cleaned the eco, and pulled up a lot of plants. Could maybe when I pulled things up I pulled up the iron bottom spikes and they are poisonous? I looked all over and didn't see any of the old flourish root tabs or ADA iron bottom or anything. I have to think either something bad was stirred up or one of the corys was sick and got the rest sick? Does anyone have any ideas? I am crushed.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 01:53 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
co2 issues ...or lack of o2.....?
im not sure if o2 content could be stratified or not....meaning fish on the bottom would suffer from lack of o2 before the fish that swim more towards the top.......
although...with re reading your post....i would lean more towards a water parameter issue....with all the stirring up the substrate and all....have you checked your parameters?

30 gallon pita...102watts..pressurized co2 ...jbj regulator...eco-complete substrate...xp-2... inline c-02 reactor...turbo twist uv
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 02:02 AM Thread Starter

The CO2 was off, and the bubbler was not on during the water change, but my feather fin Rainbows are the most sensitive to CO2 overdose. They are the first to the top. None of the other fish exhibit anything. zero....also I can normally see pink around the gills when there is too much CO2, and no one is showing anything. I have 6.7pH, KH of 3 and GH of 4....I am at a loss.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 02:13 AM
Planted Member

Can you do a water parameters test on your ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 02:13 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

are the plecos acting funny also....?
how well did you clean the filter....new pads....?

30 gallon pita...102watts..pressurized co2 ...jbj regulator...eco-complete substrate...xp-2... inline c-02 reactor...turbo twist uv
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 02:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
I suspect it is ammonia from accidentally exposing some of the old substrate fertilizer tabs to the water column. A few years ago when I didi that I had a major green water episode shortly afterwards. If that happens to you next I think that will be the proof - a bit too late for the cory's. Since the contamination would be the worst at the bottom near the substrate surface that could be why only the bottom feeders were affected. (Just a thought.)

Hoppy
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 02:36 AM Thread Starter

Triple, yes new pads, all clean, and the plecos are fine, but for the most part, they hang out on the walls or on the wood.

Hoppy I was thinking that was a possibility too.
Why else would only the corys be ill, although my green/gold varieties are doing fine...
So what are you supposed to do...memorize where you have them and remove them before replacing them? Certainly I am not the only one that uses root tabs in a planted aquarium. I haven't used Flourish in like 4 months. The ones I have been using currently is the ADA Ironbottom. I press them all of the way to the bottom. My NH4 is 0, but of course I did 2 water changes in a 24 hour period, so I am not surprised. I was too panicked to get the water changed to do any testing once I saw them acting lethargic. The second water change I did also included a triple dose of Prime, in case that was the issue.
I always run the UV for 2 days after a water change, so I don't think I will be seeing any GW...
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 02:59 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

im not sure if this is the problem or not ...but by replacing all the filter pads and gravel vaccing the sub...you might cause a "mini cycle"
i do find it odd that they are the only fish affected.....but cories are very sensitive ...kinda like canaries in the coal mine.......

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 04:00 AM Thread Starter

yeah maybe, I always thought corys were hearty. I hear more about otos being sensitive, and all 10 of mine are all over the place. I am just stunned. I lost 5 of my 10 corys. Today sucks.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 04:19 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to the_noobinator
when my 2 pandas died from an ammonia spike due to a hidden death, it was probably the biggest loss i've ever faced in the hobby.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
30gal extra high:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

10gal:

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 04:32 AM Thread Starter

yeah noob, one of my Pandas perished today, and she was my favorite. It really stinks. I am not really cut out for this death stuff, and I am even a physician.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 05:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
That does suck. I would just use the slow dissolving Seachem or Aquariumplants.com root tabs to be safe. I've never had a problem with the spendy Seachem roottabs and Momo said the Aquariumplants.com tabs worked great too. I have some Corys going on 5 years who almost bought it with a CO2 OD a few years back. I always thought they are pretty tough too. Sometimes too many water changes back to back are hard on the fish too. The old school was what? 20-25% weekly water changes and any old water was good water. I suspect it was some kind of water parm contamination from re-planting. So maybe go a little slower next time, like 1/8 or no more than 1/4 of the tank (per week) with big changes at a time... to be conservative on a major re-scape replant etc. Did you ever check the basic ammonia, nitrate parms?
Or check the city water? I really have no other ideas, but sorry for your loss. It is so sad when you know you are trying so hard to take great care of the little pals.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 06:13 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I had a very similar episode a few days ago. I lost one threadfin and my single remaining cory is just now starting to look normal. I'm pretty sure the trouble started from stirring up the substrate too much. The problem is probably too much depth to the Soilmaster in the tank. The lower zones are probably anaerobic. In any case, a nice bloom of greenwater showed up and is just starting to go away. No more substrate disturbance in that tank!
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betowess
That does suck. I would just use the slow dissolving Seachem or Aquariumplants.com root tabs to be safe. I've never had a problem with the spendy Seachem roottabs and Momo said the Aquariumplants.com tabs worked great too. I have some Corys going on 5 years who almost bought it with a CO2 OD a few years back. I always thought they are pretty tough too. Sometimes too many water changes back to back are hard on the fish too. The old school was what? 20-25% weekly water changes and any old water was good water. I suspect it was some kind of water parm contamination from re-planting. So maybe go a little slower next time, like 1/8 or no more than 1/4 of the tank (per week) with big changes at a time... to be conservative on a major re-scape replant etc. Did you ever check the basic ammonia, nitrate parms?
Or check the city water? I really have no other ideas, but sorry for your loss. It is so sad when you know you are trying so hard to take great care of the little pals.

yeah i was doing major cleaning to get rid of that new algae that has appeared from the new HC I planted....arrrrg poor little guys...
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 04:46 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fresh,

You cleaned too much at once. Also, to add insult to injury, you stirred up the subsrate AND lowered your plant volume. WHen you do this, bacteria is able to flourish in the water column. The cories having red spots show bacterial infection. Cories show this MUCH faster than any other fish you have. Also, since they are the closest to the substrate, they will show first any problems you have there. The plecos, being bigger arent as severely affected.
I had some red stripe wild cories that died in the same way. It does suck.
Now when I do a major cleaning/rescape, I try to take it over a period of a few days. WHen I change filter media, I do one at a time, a few days apart to allow the bio system a chance to get a start.

HTH

Marilyn

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode