deficient hydrocotyl - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 01:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
deficient hydrocotyl

ok i'm 99% sure this is some kind of deficiency but i cant figure out what. its on the older leaves. my first thought is K but i add alot of K already plus i dont have any yellowing going on. my other plants arent showing these signs yet ( atleast not that i can see). is it mg? i dont have much experience with this sort of thing.. my dosing regime is as follows:

10 gallon tank

1/8 tsp dry KNO3
1/32 tsp dry K2SO4
1/32 tsp dry KH2PO4
2.5 ml flourish
1 ml flourish iron

i add this 3 times a week. once at waterchange on saturday and on tuesday and thursday mornings.

any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 02:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
My hydrocotyle did the same thing to some degree. But the new leaves stayed clean and it grows so fast I really didn't notice it much (or it didn't bother me) as the new leaves covered up the old so very fast, in a matter of days. I don't think its mg or calcium as I dosed those two with water changes to 5-7 dGH. I have wondered if it was other detrius etc. in the tank settling on the big leaves causing the little dark spots. Fish excrement sometimes would settle there.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 03:00 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I would have thought it to be green-spot.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 05:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

It could be. But mine continued like that with PO4 over 2ppm.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 07:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Send a message via AIM to JenThePlantGeek
Heh, mine does that too. I have EI GW dosing and high light. The H. leucocephala Grows so fast I barely notice it like you said Betowess, and the new leaves are always in great shape. The only time it bothers me is when I'm sending out starts - I just make sure to clip only new growth and not give people the old funky stuff.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- VP & Horticulture Awards Program Chair
I <3 Eheim #195
Everyone seems normal... until you get to know them.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
i dont know the species name of the hydrocotyl that i have but i grows upwards kindof like a stem plant. this prevents me from cutting out the old leaves. i'm always cutting the new leaves off them at least once a week. this plant grows faster than any plant ive ever had except maybe green caboma. oh well, its not very noticeable so i guess i'll just keep going the way i've been going.

thanks guys
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 08:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyP
i dont know the species name of the hydrocotyl that i have but i grows upwards kindof like a stem plant. this prevents me from cutting out the old leaves. i'm always cutting the new leaves off them at least once a week. this plant grows faster than any plant ive ever had except maybe green caboma. oh well, its not very noticeable so i guess i'll just keep going the way i've been going.

thanks guys

Yeah, yours looks like the same species Jen mentioned. I also top cut mine a lot and nothing is as good of algae buster or grows faster than Brazilian pennywort AKA hydrocotyle. You can take the new tops and stick them in the substrate. They sort of root in, but they can sure grab a strong current easily with their big fat leaves. Sometimes I came home to see my big bunch of Hydrocotyle floating around the tank. I no longer have the plant except a little bit in a non CO2 cherry tank.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 09:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
Looks like spot algae to me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode