Moving my 45 Step-by-Step, Lots of pics NO 56K! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 03:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via AIM to SuRje1976 Send a message via MSN to SuRje1976 Send a message via Skype™ to SuRje1976
Moving my 45 Step-by-Step, Lots of pics NO 56K!

I just finished moving my 45g to a new place, and I figured I'd document and share. It was a relatively short distance move, about 7 miles, but it did involve breaking down the tank almost in its entirety, and setting it up all over again. So, here goes...

Here's the tank (a bit overgrown, I know - but it was the last of my posessions that I moved, and was neglected for about 10 days):

I started by removing 4 buckets of water before I started stirring things up. One of them would be for the fish and shrimp, two of them would be for the plants, and the last would be to keep the filter running for as long as possible.

As soon as the water level approached the filter intake, I unplugged it, removed it's intake and outflow (and the driftwood) and started it up again in the last bucket. I did this to try and prevent the contents from becoming anaerobic. I will leave them running this way until I'm ready to drive them to the new place:

Next, I started removing the plants. Here's a fairly large amazon sword:

And a furcata stem that grew around the surface and was *no kidding* 5 feet long:

After I got all of the plants out, I started removing the fish. I also discovered that I had A LOT more japonica shrimp than I thought. The shrimp did not like the whole ordeal and actually attacked my arm as it was in the tank! Anyway, the fish in a bucket:

The tank drained and off its stand:

Then I unhooked the CO2 canister and the pH controller, and packed them safely. At this point I unplugged the filter, closed the valve on the intake and outflow connections at the canister, drained the tubing - reactor and UVS, and wrapped the entire stand in a moving blanket:

I packed everything into the back of the car as quickly and carefully as possible, drove to the new place, and set everything back up as quickly as possible:

Ran the HOT Magnum as a DE filter for a few hours:

Replanted:

Re-acclimated:

Drank beer (not pictured).

Any questions?

Sergio C.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 03:57 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
Send a message via MSN to RachPreach
haha i like the "drank beer" part. Ive got to move my 100 gallon next may to atlanta. Im thinking ill just drain the tank down to about 20% and leave everything planted. I think everything will do fine doing that so i dont have to take everything out and replant it. Your tank does look so much better in the new setup.

100g tank:10 small angelfish, 1 harlequin rasbora, 2 albino cory, 2 clown loach, 1 rubberlip pleco, 1 bristlenose pleco and 1 apisto borellis.
Rena Filstar xp3, 2x32 and 1x96 watts with no co2.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 03:59 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Looking good! That must have been alot of work! Keep us updated.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 04:00 AM

PTrader: (11/100%)
I agree, the new scape looks great. It has a lot more "dimension" to it for want of a better word.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 04:03 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (46/100%)
it looks better now than it did before.

"Some of the worst things imaginable have been done with the best intentions." - Jurassic Park

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 04:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to SuRje1976 Send a message via MSN to SuRje1976 Send a message via Skype™ to SuRje1976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y0uH0
That must have been alot of work!
It took 13 hours, start-to-finish with one 15 minute break to eat something.

Thanks all for the kind words, I like the new setup MUCH better myself!

Sergio C.

-
-
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 04:49 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by danepatrick
it looks better now than it did before.
I agree. Great job on the documentation.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 01:07 PM
eds

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RachPreach
Ive got to move my 100 gallon next may to atlanta. Im thinking ill just drain the tank down to about 20% and leave everything planted.
That's gonna still be a lot of weight.
Very easy to stress the tank while moving it with that much weight in it.
Be very careful.
I strongly recommend that you seriously consider a complete drain.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 01:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Send a message via AIM to JenThePlantGeek
What I've done with good success is take out all the hardscapes and as much water as I can get (syphon deep into the substrate, tilt the tank, get it all) and then gently bend any plants that are planted towards the center. Take wet newspaper and lay it over the top of the bent stems and just move it that way. I had a spritz bottle that I would soak down the newspaper with every once in awhile. This works up to about a 20 or 29 gallon, but beyond that I'd be afraid the weight of the substrate would break the tank.

Great documentation - nice looking setup! I'm going to have to do that myself in about a month. *sigh*

- VP & Horticulture Awards Program Chair
I <3 Eheim #195
Everyone seems normal... until you get to know them.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 02:05 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuRje1976
It took 13 hours, start-to-finish with one 15 minute break to eat something.
Wow! only a 15min break in 13hrs,you must have been very hard on yourself. But then again,i understand why you went to such an extent,had my own fair share of experiences. One good reason why i have the comment below in my signature.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 03:17 AM

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RachPreach View Post
haha i like the "drank beer" part. Ive got to move my 100 gallon next may to atlanta. Im thinking ill just drain the tank down to about 20% and leave everything planted. I think everything will do fine doing that so i dont have to take everything out and replant it. Your tank does look so much better in the new setup.
The bottom of the tank will break and 20% of the water, all the substrate and plants will be covering the floor and everyone's feet. Larger tanks like a 100gal cannot take that kind of stress.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 04:21 AM
Wannabe Guru

hey i have a question...how long did you wait for the new tank to run with the filters until you put your fish in there? does the tank have to go through a cycle first or not since you have the cycled filters and stuff?

also, you keep shrimp with an angelfish?? He doesnt try to eat them?

100g tank:10 small angelfish, 1 harlequin rasbora, 2 albino cory, 2 clown loach, 1 rubberlip pleco, 1 bristlenose pleco and 1 apisto borellis.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Just waited the amount of time it took to re-acclimate the fish (I usually do this over several hours). The tank was already cycled, filter was only stopped for about 90 minutes.

The angel has not bothered the amano shrimp. BUT I wouldn't put cherries in there.

Sergio C.

-
-
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 07:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (120/100%)
in a month and a half I need to move my 120gal tank....I am not looking forward to it since I will have to also haul it down a flight of stairs. Your tank looks great btw.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 03:01 AM
Wannabe Guru

hey i have to move a 100 gallon tank 3 hours away!! Good luck oblong..

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode