I just finished moving my 45g to a new place, and I figured I'd document and share. It was a relatively short distance move, about 7 miles, but it did involve breaking down the tank almost in its entirety, and setting it up all over again. So, here goes...
Here's the tank (a bit overgrown, I know - but it was the last of my posessions that I moved, and was neglected for about 10 days):
I started by removing 4 buckets of water before I started stirring things up. One of them would be for the fish and shrimp, two of them would be for the plants, and the last would be to keep the filter running for as long as possible.
As soon as the water level approached the filter intake, I unplugged it, removed it's intake and outflow (and the driftwood) and started it up again in the last bucket. I did this to try and prevent the contents from becoming anaerobic. I will leave them running this way until I'm ready to drive them to the new place:
Next, I started removing the plants. Here's a fairly large amazon sword:
And a furcata stem that grew around the surface and was *no kidding* 5 feet long:
After I got all of the plants out, I started removing the fish. I also discovered that I had A LOT more japonica shrimp than I thought. The shrimp did not like the whole ordeal and actually attacked my arm as it was in the tank! Anyway, the fish in a bucket:
The tank drained and off its stand:
Then I unhooked the CO2 canister and the pH controller, and packed them safely. At this point I unplugged the filter, closed the valve on the intake and outflow connections at the canister, drained the tubing - reactor and UVS, and wrapped the entire stand in a moving blanket:
I packed everything into the back of the car as quickly and carefully as possible, drove to the new place, and set everything back up as quickly as possible:
Ran the HOT Magnum as a DE filter for a few hours:
Drank beer (not pictured).