plant suggestion wanted - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (11/100%)
plant suggestion wanted

I'm sorry for the lousy photo--I just can't seem to get the hang of aquarium photography.

I'm almost happy with this tank, there are a few things that need to grow back in. I just can't figure out the left corner. While the tank overall has 3 wpg, this corner doesn't get that much light. The tank also tends to stay in the 80s, I need something that can withstand the heat.

What would you put in the corner?

Thanks,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sony-test-1-142.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	3121  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 10:07 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

How about Anubias gracilis or Cryptocoryne wendtii v. ‘Tropica’

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kevin
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

I really like how the color of the wendtii tropica would tie in with that side of the tank. I've got a few in another tank and they only grow 4-6 inches tall so far. I think I need some height (the tank is 24 inches deep).

I had algae issues when I had anubias in the tank before--of course it was raised on driftwood in the middle of the tank at that time too. The anubias gracilis is a cool looking plant. The other plants might shade it enough to keep the algae at bay.

The photo makes me realize that the corner is a lot messier looking and too vertical compared to what my eye sees when I look at it. Do you think it would look better if I yanked all the hairy/fuzzy plants and went with a bolder plant to fill the empty space and the space the messy stems are using?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 11:33 PM

PTrader: (59/100%)
How about regular hairgrass. Fills in nicely and has nice deep green color.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

I'd actually like to see a stand of giant hair grass near the center of the tank. I'm just not ready to give up something else to make room for it yet.

I pulled up the fuzzy stems. Does it change your suggestion? (There are plants on the far right--they just have to grow in.)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sony-test-1-145.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	3122  

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 12:29 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I liked the fuzzy plants in that spot. IMO it helps to break the parallel lines of the tank vs. plants, but at the same time it's more open now.
‘Tropica' will look very nice in that spot with some of the Rotalla wallichii (aka fuzzy plant???) to fill in the negative spaces .

btw do you have a full tank photo.(I love the color use and would like to see more )

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kevin

Last edited by aquamoon; 08-01-2006 at 03:49 AM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 12:53 AM Thread Starter

I probably should have taken one before I started. I'll take one when I finish.

I think I've got the left fixed. (put 1 fuzzy plant back, moved the aponogeton, snagged the crypts from another tank, snagged the sword from the right side of the tank) Now the right side doesn't look right. But I do have a spot that will be perfect for either giant hair grass or a crinum calustrum (sp?) I just have to find some.

I'll be back in a while with either the whole tank or an empty right.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

By the time I was done, the only thing that hadn't been uprooted was the crypts in the back. Everything's a little short and the far right needs work, but I really like the way the left came out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00159.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	3123  

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 09:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I love it!! The Nymphaea lotus on the right side will fill in that spot in no time.
Here is a photo of gaint hairgrass and N. lotus growing in the same spot to give you an ideal of what it would look like https://www.plantedtank.net/profiles/images/14/1.jpg

Kevin

Last edited by aquamoon; 08-01-2006 at 11:29 PM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Kevin. I think I'll be happy with this for a while once it fills in. I hope my lily gets big fast.

My empty spot is to the right of the diandra, in front of the baby barclay, behind the driftwood with the green gecko crypts. Right now I'm looking at it and thinking how much I'd love a crinum (Charlie lowcoaster has them for sale). But when I think about how the plants will spread as they fill in, then I think the giant hairgrass would be better.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode