CO2 BPM for a 6 gal? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 06:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
CO2 BPM for a 6 gal?

I tried using the search, but couldnt find anything helpful...just finished making my DIY CO2.

From what i've read, it seems like you want to inject til about 20-30ppm of CO2. I currently don't have a test kit, so what would a rough estimate of BPM be if i wanted to acheive that? My tank is in the beginning stages so there is not too much flora at the moment, and i dont want to kill my fish that are in there...

Anyone want to give me a rough estimate of how many BPM i should be putting in there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 04:28 PM

PTrader: (11/100%)
I'm a minority viewpoint here, so keep that in mind.

I don't worry about bpm or measuring my CO2 levels overly much. If you don't have extremely high light, CO2 is a just boost to the plants (at high light you have to have it to keep algae at bay). If the fish show distress, add some surface turbulance to drive to gas off and try a slower mix (less yeast) or run a filter or air pump part of the day to drive of the excess. Otherwise just change it when it slows down.

At 6 gallons, you may find flourish excel to be less hassle than CO2. My 6 gallon eclipse is the only tank I don't supplement at all. But then it's mostly slow, easy growers.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
basically what i want to know is how much CO2 can i put in there without harming my fish...(or can i harm somthing else as well?)

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 02:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by agdavis
basically what i want to know is how much CO2 can i put in there without harming my fish...(or can i harm somthing else as well?)
Sorry to say it, but you as you said, you can put 20 - 30 ppm safetly. BPM are not the same for everyone. Also safe will depend on your water harness. CO2 brings down your pH, too much CO2 will eat up all your buffer and make your pH crash (Trust me I know).

So too much CO2 can do 2 things:
1) the fish will not be able to respire
2) the water will turn very acidic.

Get the test kits, your fish will thank you.

Walter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 07:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Many folks are beginning to strongly question whether or not CO2 can crash the pH, or will it just drop it to 5.5 or so. One viewpoint is, as tazcrash69 posted, and the other is that the pH is not an issue, only the high ppm of CO2 is an issue for fish. My view is that I need to keep an eye on my fish and shrimp if I increase my bubble rate, just to be sure they are not uncomfortable with it. So, I have raised my bubble rate a little each week until I found that BBA was no longer trying to start up again on the leaves. My fish didn't seem uncomfortable, so I left the bubble rate where it stops the BBA. For my tank, with my method of introducing CO2, and with my water circulation, that bubble rate is around 3-4 bubbles per second.

Hoppy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode