water flow?...and lighting...converting a 240G LT reef - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-30-2006, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
water flow?...and lighting...converting a 240G LT reef

hello there i have a 240G LT that is/was a saltwater tank i'm tearing down to turn into a planted tank i wanted to know what kind of water flow i'd need
as the salt tank i had 4000gph thru the main pump and 3000gph in powerheads... this will be too mutch i belive for the planted tank is the old main pump still too mutch?... i was thinking of running the flow under the substarte in a 1IN pipe with 3/8 taps in it with most of the flow coming out at the far end of the tank from the overflow?... i can cut down the main pump to about 2500gph also but to keep the pump cool thats about as low as i can go...

as to the lights the salt tank had 4 400w halides over it i was thinking of just using 2 or 3 of them instead 2 spaced out gives a somewhat uneven light pattern that i thought i'd smooth out with a few floresents or i can use 3 of em and i get a decent light pattern... i had some 10k lamps in them for the planted tank i'm guessing i'll need some lower kelvin lamps will basic 4200k lamps work for a while till i can get something in the 5000-6500k range?...(i have a few of those 4200k's sittin around)...
thanx yall...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 02:31 AM
Everyone has an opinion

PTrader: (88/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by killerproblem
hello there i have a 240G LT that is/was a saltwater tank i'm tearing down to turn into a planted tank i wanted to know what kind of water flow i'd need
as the salt tank i had 4000gph thru the main pump and 3000gph in powerheads... this will be too mutch i belive for the planted tank is the old main pump still too mutch?... i was thinking of running the flow under the substarte in a 1IN pipe with 3/8 taps in it with most of the flow coming out at the far end of the tank from the overflow?... i can cut down the main pump to about 2500gph also but to keep the pump cool thats about as low as i can go...

as to the lights the salt tank had 4 400w halides over it i was thinking of just using 2 or 3 of them instead 2 spaced out gives a somewhat uneven light pattern that i thought i'd smooth out with a few floresents or i can use 3 of em and i get a decent light pattern... i had some 10k lamps in them for the planted tank i'm guessing i'll need some lower kelvin lamps will basic 4200k lamps work for a while till i can get something in the 5000-6500k range?...(i have a few of those 4200k's sittin around)...
thanx yall...
I am assuming you have a corner overflow with a sump? I am using a Mag 7 on a 110 and could easily double that with no problem. Consider using locline for the return and splitting it to cut down on turbulence. Several examples of sumps in this forum, do a search for sumps to find them. Mine is located in the DIY link below. Have seen some of the substrate water distribution you are talking about, was intrigued but do not know if it is feasible in a planted tank. If I were you I would try it though, I was told a sump was not feasible in a planted tank. Keep in mind you do not want to be uprooting the plants with the return. I have no experience with MHs, but am sure you will find some advice here. Since you already have them, shouldn't be a problem adapting them......DC
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 05:16 AM

Hello from a fellow "large saltwater tank to large planted tank" convert. I am just now starting to stock my 300g that was converted from a reef, so I can certainly sympathize with your upcoming conversion.

Regarding flow, you'll probably find 2,500gph to be too much. My tank maxes out at about 1,700gph, but I've got the pumps throttled back to about 1,000gph right now, and with the tank about 15% planted, find that the flow is almost too much right now.

MH are great with plants, but can cause lots of carnage to plants without careful use. Even 2x400W mounted high above the water might be too much, but it's also worth a try considering you have the equipment laying around. As far as colors go, 10,000K bulbs would be fine. I run XM 10,000K bulbs over my tank and have been pleased with the appearance. Plus, I've already noticed a little growth on the plants, and they've only been in there two days.

If you get a chance to browse the Photo Album forum, check out Medicineman's large MH-lit tanks. I learned quite a bit about large planted tanks through his threads. Best of luck with your project!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 03:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thanx i'll ditch the halides then seeing as i only have 12" of room above the tank.... 1600w would be a bit high powered.... any one been using the T8 fluorscent lamps on a tank this size... (depth to top of substrate about 24"... I was thinking about 400-600w of standered daylight (6500k) might be a good option?...

as for the pumps i guess i'll go to one of my 1000gph powerheads...

thanx again for the info yall
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 03:37 AM
Everyone has an opinion

PTrader: (88/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by killerproblem
thanx i'll ditch the halides then seeing as i only have 12" of room above the tank.... 1600w would be a bit high powered.... any one been using the T8 fluorscent lamps on a tank this size... (depth to top of substrate about 24"... I was thinking about 400-600w of standered daylight (6500k) might be a good option?...

as for the pumps i guess i'll go to one of my 1000gph powerheads...

thanx again for the info yall
Do you want to sell the MHs?....DC
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

i'm going to use one on my 30 gal hex the outher 3?...nah, I prolly ought to keep em, the way we get hit with lighting 'round here... they are just core&coil magnetic ballasts anyway...and the bulbs are over due to be replaced anyway ,14 months old now,...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode