Need help with snail eggs - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (4/100%)
Need help with snail eggs

When I got home from the LFS with my first set of plants to stock my first ever planted tank, I found a "gel bubble" on my Crypt v. Red Wedntii. In the plants section I asked, and the bubble was identified as snail eggs. I am not sure how long the eggs were on the plant, but the plant has been in my tank for about a week now.

Is there anything special I need to do for the eggs?

How long does it take for the eggs to hatch?

When they do hatch do I need to feed the baby snails anything?

Because my tank is still pretty thin plant wise...All input is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,

Fishboy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 08:36 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
the eggs will propably hatch soonif you have fish in the tank, the snails wil eat laftover food, and algae depending on the species.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 08:48 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Trust me there is little you could do to stop them from hatching honestly haha. My snails are breeding very well all on their own. Anyone have any good resources to tell what type of snails we may have?

Mine have dark brown/black shells with what looks like little gold spec but are probably just thin tanslucent parts of the shell that I can see through. Shell is semi conical, tight spiral at the tip, does not seem to be doing damage to the submerged lily leaves or the banana plant but there is some thinning that I am not sure is because of eating or natural deterioration of lily leaves not being in full sunlight.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 09:48 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/88%)
Sounds like common pond snails....One way to tell is by the "eyes" are they long and stringy or kida blunt and short?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 09:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Send a message via AIM to JenThePlantGeek
I'm really glad you actually like snails! Some people try to pick out every snail they see, but I think they are an essential part of a healthy planted aquarium. Sure, maybe you'll have hundreds, but so what? More love for the snails!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- VP & Horticulture Awards Program Chair
I <3 Eheim #195
Everyone seems normal... until you get to know them.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Well the tank doesn't have any fish at the moment. I am planning on getting some Corys ASAP though, will those be enough? Or should I get some real fish also??
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 10:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
corys aren't real fish? you can just feed a few flakes every day for them.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

Well I meant like fish that don't eat waste (which is what the snails eat).. Get what I was trying to say?..Dont get me wrong I love Corys...I meant like should I get some fish like tetras or something else also, or will the Corys be enough??
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 10:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Cories do not eat waste. In fact, there isn't a fish alive that eats poop. It is a sad myth propogated by big ugly chain stores. Cories need balanced nutrition just like any other fish.

How big is your tank? It is always nice to see a school of tetras, but technically a planted tank doesn't even need fish so I'm not sure what you mean by "will the corys be enough"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I <3 Eheim #195
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 02:29 AM Thread Starter

Well the tank is a standard 20 gallong long. What I meant by if Corys are enough is because this whole topic is about snails...I found a clump of snail eggs and I asked what I need to feed them. I was told fish waste. And I was planning on getting Corys for my tank anyway. I know that the Corys do eat a regular diet, but I thought they ate waste too (I guess I was wrong.) Now back to "Will Corys be enough??" Since I thought the Corys would eat waste, I was worried if mabey the snails wouldn't have enough food..So I asked if I should get other fish that aren't waste eaters......hope that clears it up...
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 02:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenThePlantGeek
It is always nice to see a school of tetras, but technically a planted tank doesn't even need fish so I'm not sure what you mean by "will the corys be enough"
Not trying to be rude, but if people would actually read a whole topic before jumping right into it thinking they can solve any problem. Misunderstandings wouldn't happen like this. Like I said I am not trying to be rude, but I see people jump in all the time with no knowlege of the ? trying to be solved or w/e and it just kinda buggs me..
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 02:43 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Actually in her defense your posting REALLY has to be read through to understand what you are trying to get at so she might have misunderstood even if she did read through it, but you do have a point about quick responsese.

The snails eat WASTED fish food not particularly fish waste (like it was said there is not really any fish that will feast on fish waste). You do not need to get fish to feed to poop to get the snails to eat the poop which is what I am thinking you were getting at. The snails will eat any organic material that is breaking down in the tank as well as growing algea of certain types. so flake food sitting in the tank will be enough to feed them, no need to get fish to soil the water to feed your snails
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 03:51 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Not trying to be rude, but if people would actually read a whole topic before jumping right into it thinking they can solve any problem. Misunderstandings wouldn't happen like this.
This forum is all about sharing thoughts, ideas, experiences, knowledge, and making new friends. Misunderstandings will happen. Even MrGaboozlebag misunderstood you! And because I thought I might have misunderstood, that's WHY I asked for clarification.
Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean by "will the corys be enough"
So! we gotz good communication going now?

I agree with black dragon i - without food (or fish) the snails will eat decaying plant matter (like old leaves) and algae. In fact, I'm not sure it is POSSIBLE to starve a snail to death in a tank with plants. The good news is that with very few exceptions (like Bolivian Ramshorns), snails will not eat healthy plant tissue, so you don't have to worry about them tearing up new growth.

I use sinking pellets like algae waffers (spirulina disks) as part of my cherry red shrimp diet and they snails go crazy for them. It is like a big pile-on about a half hour after throwing in the food (they move slow of course!).

I <3 Eheim #195
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Ok, thanks for understanding what I was getting at. I know there by my 2nd post it got a little confusing, and I apologize if I was out of line. And like what you said about sharing ideas and what not, well I guess you could say that was an idea of mine .. I think I got it cleared up now Thanks everyone! And no hard feelings Jen.

Fishboy
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 06:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to the_noobinator
haha what about koi? they'd probably eat poop. they eat anything.

30gal extra high:

10gal:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode