EI EI O(h what to do?) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 07-22-2006, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to seastar0328 Send a message via MSN to seastar0328 Send a message via Yahoo to seastar0328
EI EI O(h what to do?)

Sorry for the title, been up all night picking at my tank again.

In attempts to remedy algae outbreaks and leggy plants I fussed with my photoperiod and EI dosing amounts. Lessening my photoperiod and switching to a 6700 to a 10000K bulb helped with the algae a little but I also found that I wasn't dosing enough macros. Yesterday I took the plunge and pruned a bunch of my leggiest-looking stem plants to about 1/2 their height. I also noted that when I was fussing with the photoperiod I caused some rotting of the bottoms of my d diandra and my rotala indica. I pulled those out and saved what I could and re-planted but I lost a lot of the volume of my plants. It looks better in respects to the algae and appearance of the plants, but it also looks sort of bare. I have found a happy lighting medium and dosing regimine but I do not know if I have culled too much plant to continue EI dosing. If so then what can I do to prevent leggy re-growth of my plants, would cutting the dosing in half help?

I have a 96 watt CF 6700K coralife on a 35 hex. Any more light seems to be too much. The footprint is pretty small (20" across at the widest point). I am injecting DIY CO2 via a 1 gallon bottle with champaign yeast and a hydor submersible powerhead which is awesome. I tried adding more CO2 with another bottle but it proved too much for my fish. Even with one bottle running I need to turn on an airstone at night to keep them from gasping. At the 1 bottle's best I have more than 30 ppm. My photoperiod now spans from 8 to noon, a 3-hour "siesta", and then 3 to 8pm. This seems to be working well. I am dosing macros and micros using the EI method. I have (estimated) about 5-6 stems of cabomba, 10 stems of ambulia, 13 stems of sunset hygro, 13 stems of rotala indica, 5 stems of red ludwiga, 2 stems of pennywort, 13 stems of d.diandra, one chain sword, one anubias, 3 java ferns attached to driftwood, some m.quadrifolia, and some dwarf hairgrass. I am waiting for optimal growth and will then work on the artistic aspect I know it sounds bad right now (and I already culled my collectoritis plants! ) I have 3 angels 3 panda corys and 9 rasboras with maybe an amano shrimp or two but I think they all died.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode