not possible 4 28.57%
other ( please state in thread ) 2 14.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Filterless nano ? with crystal reds/ bee shrimp

ok im just starting a new nano the plants are coming in today, and after a bit of reading aroud people have been saying crystal reds and bee shrimp need filters because they are so sensitive... at this moment in time i was not planing to use a filter because im going to be using alot of oxegenating plants... pearl weed,ricca,hc and various other plants and mosses im just wondering what everyone else thinks, if i do say 30 percent water changhes once a week ? also there will be lots of evaporation since its always so hot and im running a 35 watt halogen im probabily going to be running a fan depending on hot hot it gets? so im going to start a poll as well as i would like to know personal experences? what you have heared ? and finally if you dont think its possible do you have any nano filter designs... but they have to be really cheap thanks for any help !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
happy fishing
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 gallon Tanganyika Community Planted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 04:02 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)
If it's heavily planted, I would say water movement is more important than actual filtration. But since most things that move water also filter, might as well filter too.

There's a cheap nano filter made by Azoo... you can find it in the Drs Foster & Smith catalog.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i was hoping that if i needed a filter i could create some kind of canister or over flow filter to use less room ?

happy fishing

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 04:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
Walstad states that you can have a tank with no filtration, for larger tanks most people use a power head, but I have a 7.5 that has no tech, no ferts, light (except natural), no heater, and no water changes, I just top it off. Nothing but plants soil and gravel substrate and water. I do not have shrimp in there but I do have plenty of snails.

I would lightly stock the tank fish wise if you want to keep shrimp though.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 04:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (48/100%)
I had my filter turn off on my shrimp tank by accident for a couple of days. The cherries were ok, but the crystals suffered. I think they are too sensitive to run with out a filter. Also putting then in a nano is not normally ideal b/c of temp fluctuations. They are a lot more sensitive to temp flucs than cherry red shrimp.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I just wanted to queston some of your replies do you believe that crystal reds/ bees cant survive without the current of water creating a flow so there arent dead flow areas ? or cant survive without the cycle of bacteria ? and also there will be no fish and only 5 shrimp all being very small young ones they wont grow larger than an inch most sites state they only grow 3/4 of an inch..

happy fishing

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2006, 07:01 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (60/100%)
I wouldnt take the chance. CRS are not cheap and I have found them to be VERY sensitive to temperature changes and water quality. Both of which are harder and harder to keep stable the smaller you go in tank size. I run one of those small cheap red sea or similar throw away HOB filters even on my 1 gal cube, and that only has 5 adult rainbow shrimp and oodles of babies (they all just droped babies). I am going to setup one of those 12x12x12 ADA cubes with CRS but will use both a HOB and small peltier chiller to keep things as stable as possible. I would do what others above have stated and stick with cherries, cheaper and alot tougher as well.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2006, 07:24 AM

PTrader: (50/100%)
Like Havoc said, why would you take that chance with crystal red shrimp? They're not exactly 30 cents like ghost shrimp. But then again, it's your money.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2006, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

im actually not getting crs im getting bee shrimp i kust put crs because there the same species just diferent hybridization (sp) so they will have the same qualities im taking the chance on them because im getting them for like a dollar each shipping is 60$ though at the moment im trying to setup a stump im kinda lost though i dont really like the look of cherries, any how to's for a stump ? like i cant keeep the amount of water the same like its either too little being pumped and too much being sucked or too much being pumped or to little being sucked ?

happy fishing

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2006, 03:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (48/100%)
You need to be careful with bee shrimp as well. The normal bee shrimp are just as sensitive as CRS. Also a lot of times the shrimp being sold as bees are actually really new bees. New bees need colder water and will have no chance in surviving in such a small tank with heat fluctuations. You are trying to set up a sump on a nano tank? Don't know if that would be a good idea, the overflow for a sump is normally quite large.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2006, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

IM actually hoping to run 2 tanks on a 7 gallon stump i was planing to use the method where you dont drill a whole in yuor tank and just use the normal siphon acton ? is this possible ? IM getting the bees from a reputable seller and ive seen pics and stuff so im like 99 % sure that they are true bee shrimp
anyways one of the reasons for the stump is for my heater.. so i need help figureing out how to work this

happy fishing

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode