GH/PH/ C02 questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
GH/PH/ C02 questions

I have 13 degrees gh (tap water) Lowering it with RO on weekly 50% Water changes,but now noticing that PH is staying at 7.6 and my Co2 is at 4.5 ( KH at 5 ) so I am putting in acid buffer from Seachem to lower PH- Am I just chasing the tail here ? or should I just use the 13 tap water and leave it all alone? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 06:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
What is the goal?

Want to see more...check out my website
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 06:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
An acid buffer is, in my opinion, never a good idea. It isn't that important what the pH is. If you want CO2 in the water you have to inject it, and that lowers the pH depending on what the KH is. But, that change in pH has no effect on the fish or plants. Try sprinkling the acid buffer on the garbage and letting the garbage man pick it up!!

edit: Since I'm on a roll here.....if you really want CO2 in the water, the Carbo Plus unit isn't the best way to get it. I have yet to read a post from someone who is happy with the results of using one.

Hoppy

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Hi Brilliant- The goals would be :GH-8,KH-5,PH-7.0,C02-25.
but to get the Gh down I would have to use RO water which also raises the PH which in turn lowers the C02.

Hi Hoppy- Really the Carbo plus does work if you crank it up to 8 ( 10 is max) I can get to 25 C02. It is pricey-er though to have to replace the block when it gos. I am thinking that a GH of 13 is too high?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 07:26 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by btodd43
Hi Brilliant- The goals would be :GH-8,KH-5,PH-7.0,C02-25.
but to get the Gh down I would have to use RO water which also raises the PH which in turn lowers the C02.
Your using some sort of co2 chart arent you?

RO water should have a lower pH.
Nothing will lower co2 except less co2....or water changes. OK I guess surface agitation too but my main point is pH wont raise or lower co2.

I would assume that this acid buffer isnt helping the high GH. IMO most pH products are trash.

Lets start from the beginning...
What is the GH, KH and pH of your tap water?

Want to see more...check out my website
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Yes C02 chart (sticky)- RO water should have a "higher" ph I believe like 8.0, When I put Ro water in it raises the ph from 7.0 to 7.6 which when using the co2 chart with KH of 5- equals 4.5 on co2.If I don't put in the Ro water to lower GH then the Ph is at 7.0 and co2 is like 15
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 01:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
If I were you I would do a big water change, forget the buffers, add CO2 to get the amount you want, and whatever the KH, pH, and GH end up at is fine. The fish you have are not demanding fish that need specific hardness or pH.

I'm not at all sure the pH, KH, CO2 chart is accurate when using a Carbo Plus unit. That unit, as I understand it breaks down the KH to get CO2 from the carbonates. If so, it will drop the KH as it drops the pH, so both would have to be measured at the same time and with the Carbo Plus unit operating.

The argument against the Carbo Plus method, as I see it, is that you pay almost as much initially for the unit as a pressurized CO2 system costs, but still have to buy new carbon blocks periodically, which are expensive. But, the CO2 system uses very cheap bottled CO2, so the first expense is really the only expense. Both systems are virtually automatic once they are adjusted. However, the idea behind the Carbo Plus unit is intriguing, and I suspect it would work adequately for a small aquarium. A big advantage of the pressurized system is that so many of us use it you have access to lots of good advice about it, and that isn't true of the Carbo PLus.

Hoppy
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 01:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
RO water should not raise the pH. Since RO water has no buffers it can't raise the pH.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode