Manzanita questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (11/100%)
Manzanita questions

I've been using grapevine in my tanks and for the most part have had minimal issues with it. I've got 1 tank where I used really big pieces--bigger around than my arm and 3 feet long, so I wasn't able to boil them before use. I've had nothing but trouble with this one tank and I think it's crud leaching from the wood. I'm going to replace the wood.

I've seen that several people have used manzanita in their tanks. I want to use big pieces again, so I won't be able to boil them. For those using manzanita, how long did it take to settle into the tank (quit leaching)? For those who've had it in their tanks for a while, how is it holding up?

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 07:32 PM
co2
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to co2 Send a message via Yahoo to co2
I have used old, dried manzanita and there is no leaching at all. I think there is some buoyancy initially, but I always pushed the ends into the substrate and they stayed anchored. If you just lay it on the substrate it may try to float for a couple days, but you could always anchor it down with some rocks temporarily. I never boiled it, I just rinsed it with a garden hose.

The only pics I have of any manzanity in a tank are these:

-Craig
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 02:22 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
Manzanita can be kind of yucky at times.

When I first got my manzanita wood, I soaked it in a barrel in my kitchen for about four weeks. I put a weight on top of the branches, and changed the water once or twice a week. The water was always scummy and tinged with tannins. The wood itself also developed a pinkish slime/mold. I wiped the slime off the wood with a rag before I put it in the aquarium, and the shrimp took care of the bits of slime I may have missed.

The water had a little tannin in it for a few weeks, but it went away after a few water changes.

I think you'll be fine in a couple of weeks as well, Cathy!

Mike

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 03:30 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Pretty much ditto Mike's response Cathy, except I didn't get a pink slime. My piece was so heavy it lost buoyancy within three weeks. I did get a white bread mold which lasted over two weeks...after I introduced it into the tank... with no problems. I had previously soaked mine outside in a 40 gallon watering trough for our goats with a big rock on top to sink it.

What is kind of cool is that the mold left some thin white lines where it never went away in a few long hairline cracks in the wood. I've had it maybe 3 or 4 months in the tank without any probs and totally love the wood. It has turned quite a bit darker too, which I was hoping for. IMO, Go for it.

You can compare how its darkens with these two pics.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 05:43 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (11/100%)
That is a beautiful stump.

It sounds like I need to soak it for a while then--3-4 weeks isn't too bad. I really like the look of the tanks I've seen done with it.

Thanks for the replies.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 06:31 AM

PTrader: (5/100%)
Just wondering but where did you get your manzanitia from?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 10:25 AM
Everyone has an opinion

PTrader: (88/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betowess
Pretty much ditto Mike's response Cathy, except I didn't get a pink slime. My piece was so heavy it lost buoyancy within three weeks. I did get a white bread mold which lasted over two weeks...after I introduced it into the tank... with no problems. I had previously soaked mine outside in a 40 gallon watering trough for our goats with a big rock on top to sink it.

What is kind of cool is that the mold left some thin white lines where it never went away in a few long hairline cracks in the wood. I've had it maybe 3 or 4 months in the tank without any probs and totally love the wood. It has turned quite a bit darker too, which I was hoping for. IMO, Go for it.

You can compare how its darkens with these two pics.

I have a lone male bosemani, you him for shipping?....DC
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 02:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloCanine
I wish, but that tank is pretty full and there are 4 juvis in there. Got my Apistos females from that auction so thanks for the heads up DC. Could you describe the size of a breeding cave for the apistos. About half a banana the right size? TIA bob

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 02:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN
Just wondering but where did you get your manzanitia from?

Talk to Rich here... http://www.manzanita.com/

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 04:07 PM

PTrader: (59/100%)
Quote:
I will take him
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 09:17 PM
Everyone has an opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh_newby
I will take him
K, PM me.....DC
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 09:18 PM
Everyone has an opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betowess
I wish, but that tank is pretty full and there are 4 juvis in there. Got my Apistos females from that auction so thanks for the heads up DC. Could you describe the size of a breeding cave for the apistos. About half a banana the right size? TIA bob
Best description I can give is an ice cream cone made by a newbie. You should just buy a pleco and apisto cave and go from there, they aren't that much around $5 each plus shipping. You know how mean the female apistos get when they spawn, right?.....DC
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-22-2006, 04:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Best description I can give is an ice cream cone made by a newbie. You should just buy a pleco and apisto cave and go from there, they aren't that much around $5 each plus shipping. You know how mean the female apistos get when they spawn, right?.....DC
Thanks. Yeah, SCARY mean!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode