using a lot of ferts!! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 02:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to daveonbass
using a lot of ferts!!

Ok you all know me by now. I have the 75gallon tank that has been plagued with problems and now that they are all fixed...I'm getting new concerns.

My ferts are being depleted really fast. To get rid of the hair algae...I dosed a lot of extra ferts. Well once it was gone I just tried to keep the levels constant. ie, nitrate 20-30, phos 2, and the PH and CO2 are constant. But that clearness lasted only like a week. the hair is starting to grow back little by little, and the fert levels seem to be WAY low. I try to add them every othe morning at an assumed dosage of a little more than tank capacity. But I noticed that the algae was growing again and so I ran test last night and my Nitrate was 0 and so was my phos. So the plants seem to be using up nutrients a lot faster than expected.

Does this sound normal...or is my tank being unique again...I had to dose 110 ml of phos, and 120ml of nitrate last night just to get them back up in the positives. i'm worried that I'm going to be using a TON of ferts from now on and I'm already starting to look at the dry kind...sinc eI use seachem...but still even that seems like if my plants are eeating up that much then I'm going to need to order from greg like every three months. that's a lot I would think. But anyways....just hit me up and tell me if that seems weird.

I have glosso, amazom swords, and rotala...and one other plant that doesn't seem to grow much so I don't think it's a nutrient sponge. i'm guessing the swords and rotala are the ones using that stuff up so much.

thanks in advance

dave

75g, 2-XP3's, pressurized CO2, inline reactor, 384 Watt CF orbit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 03:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Test your test kits.

And place an order with Greg Watson.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 03:15 AM
Algae Eater

PTrader: (249/100%)
You are going to go broke!!!! Like Rex suggested save yourself a pile of cash and get the dry ferts, much eaiser to get you levels where you want and best of all cheap!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 04:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
And, try to get as much CO2 in the water as you can without bothering the fish.

Hoppy
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 05:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Gee golly REX thanks for nothing again....I expected so much less...

Of course I have the test kits checked, they are both NEW and working properly in the other tanks...so the readings are correct. So what's the problem. whats eating up all the ferts...or is ti just the plants?

I was wondering if my ammount of CO2 could possibly be too MUCH? if I had a lot of CO2, PLUS a lot of Light 5.12 WPG, then do my plants need a lot of ferts to compensate for making so much of whatever they make? (i have a brainfart when it comes to botany) I was thinking of lowering the CO2 a little. (read it as less co2) But now you say to use MORE co2? wow, I don't know if I want to drop my PH that low.

Is this really the right thing to do?

dave

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 05:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

and by the way I'm not worried about the money right now...Why does everyone make that such a huge whopping deal? Right now I want to get answers as to how to aleviate the problem...that's the point of the thread. how I decide to pay for the fix is my perogative...can we once not jump on the frugal REX Wagon and promote some answers first.....?

dave

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 06:20 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (38/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveonbass
Gee golly REX thanks for nothing again....I expected so much less...
Thats a little uncalled for dont you think. Ok, I will try to help. If the test kits are accurate then there is only 1 answer. The plants are using it up. So ther eis only 1 answer, dose more ferts. With that much lighting and good co2, then things like rotala, glosso take in a decent amount. ALthough the amount you had to add to bring it back up seems a little excessive. Not sure on that point. On that size tank I also recomend dry ferts. I started using liquid seachem on my 90 for quite some time. What I found is that the dosage per the bottle was way off and I had to add 3 times what it said to raise it where I wanted it to be. With the dry stuff and the fertiliator, no more probs. Oh, and a pound of Kno3 from Greg Watson will last way longer than 3 months. Good luck.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 07:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

thanks for the help...I am inclined to agree I just wanted a second opinion. and no I don't think that was uncalled for. I'm tired of asking a questiona nd getting a nothing response from REX. (read my guide, buy from greg) You and Hoppy actually answered something for me...Rex just posts stuff like he's going for the most posts per year record...but never seems to apply much to them. Just my opinon on it, and I don't need his useless post on my thread.

dave

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 07:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

though believe it or not I DO rescpect his knowledge...I just wish he'd give it some instead of telling everyone to READ the GUIDE. I did and I still had a bunch of problems. oh well. He's a great guy. But just a little introverted...

dave

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 12:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
You seem to have a chip on your shoulder.

Your post shows you are relying on test kits. And test kits simply are not that reliable. Especially things like nitrate test kits that are very sensitive to the manner in which the test is done.

My advice to anyone in this situation would be to test the test kits. You make no mention of having done so.

The advice to place an order with Greg was good advice. But now since anything I say to you is going to bring on a snit like this I will just put you on my ignore list.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 02:26 PM
Algae Eater

PTrader: (249/100%)
As I said above its also much eaiser to dose with dry ferts, you can get a better idea where your levels should be, with seachem ferts you dont really know how ppm X amount will raise the water to. Makes the need for accuracy of test kits less important. Best of luck

|
|
|
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 03:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Light is what drives plant growth. When you have a lot of light, and you do, the plants will grow very fast, using up fertilizers almost as fast as you add them. But, once they run out of one of the ferts, like phosphate, the growth slows way down. That isn't, in my opinion, a good thing. That is when algae can start growing. The reason for using a lot of light is to drive the plants to grow well and fast, so, in my opinion, we need to either supply the nutrients they need, or reduce the light so they don't need so much. (If you drop the CO2 you almost certainly will get to enjoy watching black brush algae grow!)

Hoppy
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 06:01 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
As you know you have over 5 watts/gallon of light going into your tank. This is way more than most people even attempt. If you don't keep the co2 and ferts at a stable level, then algae will grow-- as Hoppy said, above. It's like when you drive a fully loaded, sports-engine Land Rover around town-- it's going to use up a lot of gas.

Given the multiple algae problems that you have had over just a short amount of time, you might want to consider the possibility that your basic set up is flawed. I think you have too much light-- figure out a way to raise the fixture up from the tank. Then not only will you probably not need to add a crazy amount of ferts to the tank, but you will also be able to keep the levels more stable-- still giving your plants plenty of nutrients/light to grow, but allowing them to outcompete the algae.

Karla
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 04:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Ok rex lets do this...(a bell rings in the distance)

no serioulsy, For the record I would like to point out that I reference your guide all the tame and though I don't like when you tell everyone "read my guide" I do think it's a great bounding point. I'm not a WHAT person. I'm a WHY person. You say check the test kits. But I'm not a moron and yes I HAVE read the whole Guide...so of course I did that before posting and the kits are reading just fine. But as for saying...order from greg...Like I'm supposed to know exactly what that implys. I use seachem and unlike what some people are saying, the stuff performs just as advertised. you add "x" amound and the nitrate goes up buy a certain number of degrees. It's easy and predictable. and my test have proven that. So I do like the stuff. I will eventually get the dry ferts but for now I'm going to figure out how to stabilaze the tank with what I DO have.
The lighting is HIGH...But my glosso grows UP in anything much less...and the tank has never looked so good. If it takes more fert doseing then so be it, I like the tank and don't mind the doseing...it just means that I get to play in it more. And that was the answer I was looking for...it answers the WHY. Why should I dose more...and hoppy helped explain that reasoning to me. He didn't just say...buy from Greg. So that's just who I am. If you wanna put me on an ignore list then fine. But That's who you are and even so I still do recommend that people read your guide at least once.
I'm going to keep the lighting...everything is doing so mch better with it than it was without it. and before I still had like 4WPG. and the glosso would grop UP not over. so Now the algae is manageable and the plants are growing like crazy. So i'm happy...I just needed to know if adding THAT many fert was normal for a tank like mine. And sinc eit is then I will just keep things up and not let it worry me. If it's not broke don't fix it. I have plenty of options on ferts, and so now that I KNOW WHY...I'll order some stuff from greg, thanks rex.

dave

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode