Dwarf Sag - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Dwarf Sag

I got some dwarf sag from one of the sponsors here.
It's not very dwarf IMO, ~8" tall

I am wondering if the sub'd in something else or these were grown in very low light?

The other plants I got from them were great though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Retired 2003
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 04:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Send a message via AIM to JenThePlantGeek
You do need the high light to keep them short. I have some in my 110 under 4 x 65watt and they stay short and bright light green. Where are these going? I bet they'd stay short in your 65.

Did the sponsor list what conditions the plants were grown under? Dwarf sag that grows tall looks very similar to Vallisneria, but on my Vals the leaves are a bit wider and have a slightly different pattern to them.

- VP & Horticulture Awards Program Chair
I <3 Eheim #195
Everyone seems normal... until you get to know them.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I sent the sponsor an email earlie to find out what conditions they were grown under.
They are going into the 110gal 175Wx2 96Wx2

Retired 2003

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 05:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Oh yeah, they'll grow nice 'n short in your 110, assuming they actually are dwarf sag.

I <3 Eheim #195
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ok what do you think?

I have ordered from this vendor several times and never had an issue with them. These just took me off guard since I was expecting ~4" tops. They just seem too large to me.

Retired 2003
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 07:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

That looks more like Sagittaria platyphylla than subulata. The leaves on subulata aren't quite as thick. Looks like Sagittaria of some sort more than it does Vallisneria to me though.

http://www.tropica.dk/productcard_1.asp?id=081

I <3 Eheim #195
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 07:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to xcooperx
but you mean jen that dwarf sag will really grow that long in a low light condition?

20 Gal. JBJ 2x65watts CF, ADA Aquasoil, JBJ Pressurized Co2, Rhinox 3000 and Aquaclear 50 (Current Tank)
Last Updated: April. 11, 2013
29 Gal. Coralife 130watts CF, ADA Aquasoil, JBJ Pressurized c02,Rhinox 2000 and Xp2 (RETIRED)
Last Updated: Dec. 15, 2006
20L 65watts CF , 100 % Eco-Complete, JBJ Pressurized co2 w/ Rhinox 1000 and Fluval 203 (RETIRED)
Last Updated: October 1, 2006
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 07:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I've seen it do that before, yeah. It stretches to get to the light. I think your lights would be ok though Cooper.

I <3 Eheim #195
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

against my better judgement I planted the first 1/2 of the batch in my 110gal. Ther rest are going into 2 other tanks.

I still haven't heard back from the seller.

I have to say it does look goffy with foreground plants that are 8"+/- tall.
At leat they are easier to pull of of a 30" tall tank than they are to put in.

Retired 2003
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 12:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Dwarf sag is kind of a misnomer. It can grow up to 10" tall and still be considered "dwarf". Compared to normal sag it's a dwarf. But in a 18" deep tank it doesn't always look so dwarf.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 01:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
Yes, dwarf sag can be 6 to 10 ", easily. You can cut it though to whatever height you want.

Here is a pick of dwarf sag in my 100 gallon tank. From front to back it is all Sagittaria subulata. I trimmed the plants in the front. I had 4/watts per gallon over this tank at the time of the picture.

I don't know if you are talking about me or not, if you are I missed your email. Your pictures do look like the dwarf sag I currently have.

Robert Paul Hudson

Kindness like love is unconditional
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 01:09 AM

PTrader: (59/100%)
I love your tanks, Robert...
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

No Robert it wasn't from you.
I was just looking for verification that it is dwarf sag. I'll have to get it under some high light and trim it when it takes root.

When you refer to 'trim' are you suggesting a hair-cut or snipping it off at the base?

Retired 2003

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode