Can you help out a new 20gal Long??? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 04:03 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (4/100%)
Can you help out a new 20gal Long???

Hey,

I am a seasoned aquarist and have been keeping African Cichlids in my 55 for about 3 years now, and have many other tropical freshwater tanks in my past. I have an old 20 Gal Long sitting in my room with nothing in it. I have recently been in awe with planted tanks and decided to join up. I was wondering if you all could help me out with my setup. Ya know the usual. Which kind of filtration setup (canister, power, ect.) Good brand of lights to use, and possibly a good plant stock. As for fish in the tank I am looking to get a beautiful male betta, some mates and possibly some tetras or other of the sort to fill it in. All input would be appreciated. I have also read that "Rex's guide" but I want some input on what kind of plants and such would be good in such a "short" tank. I have a 20 Gal Long like i said, so any info would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 04:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
Call me and we'll get this sorted out, Nate. I was beginning to think all my preaching in study hall was fruitless.

20 long? a 1x55 watt or better yet, 2 AH Supply 36 watt Kits.

Canisters are always best, as they save CO2, and are all around a more efficient filtration. They also allow for inline equipment, which means less of it is in your tank. Eheim is the best, Rena is great also, and a skosh cheaper.

Short plants are your friend.......Cryptocorynes, Anubias, Saggittaria, etc. We can get all these at Sailfin so all the better.

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 05:27 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to TINNGG Send a message via Yahoo to TINNGG
Believe it or not, but you can grow pretty decent plants with the standard lights sold for that tank. It's so darned shallow (shallower than a 10) that most all the light reaches the bottom. I'm setting up my old one currently using a Tetra living world filter/stump for a 10 (eh, one of the local pestmarts had it for $15, couldn't resist mate), soilmaster select, and the ancient strip light off the hood (noticed the splash glass in the hood was broken so tossed it). You're probably not going to grow glosso like this but crypts and anubias will be happy.

My mind is aglow with trancient nodes of thought, careening through a cosmic vapor of invention - Hedley Lamar

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 02:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
I have a 20L with a few pix of it here:

Chinese Watersnake Upgrade 20L-56k-warning

The Specs of the tank and plants are listed in that post. It has grown in some and I have added a few more plants that are now on the list, but not in the pix.

I like it. I needed Long and Low for the Watersnakes, which is the main focus of the tank. Now I just wish I would have had one made that was 30" x 18" 14" instead. But maybe I'll upgrade to that next Year.....Maybe Not. Who Knows....

Most of the plants in it are lower light, slow growers that don't get very tall very fast--which is what I wanted.

HTH

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 02:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to TheOtherGeoff Send a message via MSN to TheOtherGeoff
i run a pretty basic setup on my 20L and have great results. i use a stock light strip and a coralife t5 strip and the plants go crazy. filter is a whisper 20 and thats about it. no co2 and no ferts and the plants sure do well in it

The Fish Tank, Tranquility in Motion

all gone now

Planted discus has come to an end.......but only for
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input guys. I have looked over many of your tanks, and I have to say they all look very lush for being as small of tanks as they are. I guess that is what really drew me to this type of tank, no matter what size it can be full and beautiful. All the tanks look just great guys keep up the good work. As soon as I get some cash, I will start up a new thread to log my progress and that way I can get some help along the way! Thanks again for the input, and more is welcome.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 06:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

If you are in the beginning stages of equipment buys you might want to build around something other than the 20L as it is slightly more difficult to light at 30". Most lamps are sold as 2' or 3'. That said, I like my 20L even though the edges are a little dim.

Moved to Tucson.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Actually I have accessed that problem already. I have a family member that also is into planted tanks, I'm not sure if he is involved with this site or not, but he has been an aquarist for over 20 years and mentioned this to me. He gave me this light setup with reflectors and he said that they should reflect enough light into the corners and outer edges. The only thing I don't have equipment wise is the actual light bulb which I could easily pickup this weekend. Thanks for the info though, I really appreciate it, as it could have been vital info depending on my stock list and setup. Thanks!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 09:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naja002
I like it. I needed Long and Low for the Watersnakes, which is the main focus of the tank. Now I just wish I would have had one made that was 30" x 18" 14" instead. But maybe I'll upgrade to that next Year.....Maybe Not. Who Knows....
Those are interesting. I can see having something like that in a house with a 7 year old though.

Sounds almost like a 40 breeder there. I saw one a week ago. That's a cool tank. Not practical for angels but great for most anything else. (and it's shallow enough I wouldn't have to go swimming. Hee!)

My mind is aglow with trancient nodes of thought, careening through a cosmic vapor of invention - Hedley Lamar
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 06:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Sounds almost like a 40 breeder there.
I have a 40 Breeder, but sadly, its 36" long and won't fit in the space that the Chinese watersnakes are in.....

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 12:36 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

waitaminute - that would be a 29 wouldn't it?

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 05:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I have a 29g too and its roughly 30" x 12" x 18" H.

What I was refering to was 30"L x 18"W x 14"H. I'm not aware of any standard aquarium of those dimensions. The height wouldn't be that important---12"-15" would work. But this stand that I am using has a 30" x 18" "footprint"......

sorry, not intending to hijack......

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 03:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

a 30x18 tank would be one sweet footprint. sorry for adding to the hijacking..

all gone now

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Haha, no worries, I think this thread was dead anyways...
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 06:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

oh one more piece of advise, be careful with sword plants and apongentons, they get too bog for them and block out large portions of light. hahaha.

all gone now

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode