Help plz with red tiger lotus - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hello i wonder if anybody can help me with my tiger lotus plant.
Basicly ive had it for about 3 months now its growning very slowly and the leaves are no bigger than an inch in diameter plus it doesnt grow very tall. Is this sort of growth right ?
the plant its self is in fairly deep plain rounded aquarium gravel, and it also gets plenty of light.
thanks in advance... pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 08:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

Pete,

I have never had issues growing tiger lotus... How many WPG do you have.... Are you using any ferts? Tiger lotus are usually grown from bulbs, were they get the majority of there nutrition early in life, if yours has no bulb it is probably a daughter plant, they do require good ferts and a rich substrate IMO. You could try adding something like a substrate fert....

Jason

120g, Flourite & Sand. DIY Stand and Canopy. CF lighting 3wpg, Pressurized C02, DIY reactor. 2-XP3's, 500watt heater.
Heavily planted
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 08:53 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
My lotus took really off (almost too much) when I started adding Potassium every week. It will also respond well to root tabs or similar in the substrate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

I bought the tiger lotus from my lfs and it has grown from a bulb and at the time it was thriving with life, im not sure what my wpg is but my bulb is a 38 watt 42" and it was recomended for plant growth. I also have a reflector for it. i also have a CO2 injector, so i will goto the aquarium this weekend and buy some ferterliser, do u recomend liquid or solid ferterliser ??.

thx for the quick responce Jason
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 09:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

Pete,

I suggest the root tabs for the lotus, but it might not hurt to add alittle potassium (liguid) to the water column. It would help all your plants process the other ferts.

What size tank do you have??? I suspect it is rather large by your 42inch lamp..... If that is the case you may not have enough light... A good ball park figure is 3 watts of light per gallon of water....

Jason

120g, Flourite & Sand. DIY Stand and Canopy. CF lighting 3wpg, Pressurized C02, DIY reactor. 2-XP3's, 500watt heater.
Heavily planted
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Ok thx again, i suppose i could get another bulb in there. Oh yes my tank is 48" long.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 09:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

Pete,

48inch tanks usually run 50 gallons and up depending on depth and width.. So at the minimum you are going to want 150 watts :shock: of light(assuming you have a 50gallon tank) . Red plants in paticular need more light IME....

Jason

Heavily planted
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-02-2003, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Hello Jason here is my messurments for my tank:
48" length
18" height
12" width
so it works out at about 32.8 imp gallons, not forgetting that im from uk so there is a difference in US to UK gallons
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-02-2003, 01:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Your tank is about what we would in the US would call a 40 long. At a minimum you would want 80 watts of light over this tank.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-02-2003, 07:29 PM

Hi Pete, i know we were sposed to reply in help to your tiger lotus problem but i was wondering if you could help me? im in the UK too (SE London) and im desperatley trying to track down a Tiger lotus myself but none of my LFS can help and no internet plant sites seem to stock them either... where did you get yours from? and can they send by post? if you know of anywhere please please can you let me know???
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-02-2003, 07:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

Pete,

As usual Rex is right on the money... You want a minimum of 80 watts, but probably closer to 120watts....

Jason

Heavily planted
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-02-2003, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Ok Rex Jason im off to buy another bulb this weekend , i cannot stress enough how much help u guys have given me and im very greatful.

Matpreec
I also struggled to find tiger lotus plants that is why im tryin not to loose it, eventually i came across 1 so i quickly bought it. I live in notts so im a fair way from u but i will ask next time i go to c if they do post them out.
By the way have u tried any of the adverts in the fish keeping magazines, u never no if some store might order 1 in for u.
pete
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-03-2003, 02:18 PM

thanks pete... i'll give the adverts a whirl. but if you could keep your eyes peeled id be extremely grateful...

Mat
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 08:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
one more bulb isn't going to be enough...

Robert Paul Hudson

Kindness like love is unconditional

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode