So whats the best snail to get? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
So whats the best snail to get?

Was gonna grab a snail or two but was wonderin which is the best at helping keep the glass and rocks clean?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 06:06 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Just keep buying plants and you'll end up with an assortment of snails. I started with MTS (bought tank with existing gravel), and a few months ago noticed some ramshorns (after a plant purchase) - they now have the run of the tank!

Kevin

72g bowfront planted, CO2, 4x - T5HO, Eheim 2213 and 2217, 2 angels, pristella tetras, blue tetras, betta, albino bristlenose pleco, albino cories. Sword, vals, hygros, ludwigias, java moss and fern, anubias

2g Mac-quarium. Clown gravel, fluorescent plastic plants, and 2 guppies.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I kinda don't want any pest snails.....

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 06:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
I suppose olive nerites but there is some debate as to whether they can breed in freshwater. I am developing an interest in apple snails and recently purchased some Asolene spixis.....really cool. I also want some violet brigs.

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 06:59 PM
Algae Eater

PTrader: (249/100%)
nerite snails are great algae eaters! They will clean green spot off anubias and whatever else it grows on. Also they keep the glass clean too

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
|
|
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 07:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Send a message via AIM to JenThePlantGeek
In my opinion, MTS and ramshorns aren't pests at all.

- VP & Horticulture Awards Program Chair
I <3 Eheim #195
Everyone seems normal... until you get to know them.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 02:12 AM

PTrader: (59/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbelvedere
I suppose olive nerites but there is some debate as to whether they can breed in freshwater. I am developing an interest in apple snails and recently purchased some Asolene spixis.....really cool. I also want some violet brigs.
Mine breed like crazy in my freshwater tank...
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 03:37 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to xcooperx
i have lots of MTS right now, how can i control them?

20 Gal. JBJ 2x65watts CF, ADA Aquasoil, JBJ Pressurized Co2, Rhinox 3000 and Aquaclear 50 (Current Tank)
Last Updated: April. 11, 2013
29 Gal. Coralife 130watts CF, ADA Aquasoil, JBJ Pressurized c02,Rhinox 2000 and Xp2 (RETIRED)
Last Updated: Dec. 15, 2006
20L 65watts CF , 100 % Eco-Complete, JBJ Pressurized co2 w/ Rhinox 1000 and Fluval 203 (RETIRED)
Last Updated: October 1, 2006
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 01:48 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
You ever go down to your tank in the wee hours before the lights come on and see how many snails you have? Holy crap, I have! They are all over the place. It's kind of cool.

Makes me wonder if you can somehow trap them in a min-lobbster trap or something. Like, put a few algae tablets in a small wire trap and collect a few dozen just to limit the amount.

Anyone ever try that?

BTW the Turbo Twist UV sterlizer has worked like a charm and I thank all who helped me out there. A little over a week since I installed it and the tank is crystal clear.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 02:04 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (12/100%)
Send a message via MSN to saint27 Send a message via Yahoo to saint27
If you ever want to get rid of snails just get a couple of clown loaches. I have 5 of them. I got a couple dozen ramhorn snails last month from the LFS that was over grown with them. They were gone inside the first week. Just a bunch of empty shells everwhere. I though few might surive and creat a colony but I guess my fish are just pigs. I have just started a 5.5 gallon that I am going to have cherry shrimp in. I am thinking about throughing in some snails to turn it into snack factory for my clowns.

High Tech:
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 02:34 PM

Clowns are not a very good community tank member from what I remember, though. No? I think I would catch them going after my Angels. I don't have Angels anymore so maybe I will get a few.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 02:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via AIM to IUnknown
Quote:
I suppose olive nerites but there is some debate as to whether they can breed in freshwater.
I thought that was the advantage of using Nerite snails. You can keep the population under control.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 08:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxlugar
Clowns are not a very good community tank member from what I remember, though. No? I think I would catch them going after my Angels. I don't have Angels anymore so maybe I will get a few.
My clown loaches went back to the store once I discovered they were the ones eating holes in my Amazon sword leaves. Just for fun, I guess . . .
I really liked having them, but not at that cost.

Kevin

72g bowfront planted, CO2, 4x - T5HO, Eheim 2213 and 2217, 2 angels, pristella tetras, blue tetras, betta, albino bristlenose pleco, albino cories. Sword, vals, hygros, ludwigias, java moss and fern, anubias

2g Mac-quarium. Clown gravel, fluorescent plastic plants, and 2 guppies.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 08:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to xcooperx
and i think clown loach will also be your problem especially if your substrate is flourite, is there any more solution for this snails? what about the product that kill snale the one in LFS

20 Gal. JBJ 2x65watts CF, ADA Aquasoil, JBJ Pressurized Co2, Rhinox 3000 and Aquaclear 50 (Current Tank)
Last Updated: April. 11, 2013
29 Gal. Coralife 130watts CF, ADA Aquasoil, JBJ Pressurized c02,Rhinox 2000 and Xp2 (RETIRED)
Last Updated: Dec. 15, 2006
20L 65watts CF , 100 % Eco-Complete, JBJ Pressurized co2 w/ Rhinox 1000 and Fluval 203 (RETIRED)
Last Updated: October 1, 2006
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 09:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to TINNGG Send a message via Yahoo to TINNGG
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC
My clown loaches went back to the store once I discovered they were the ones eating holes in my Amazon sword leaves. Just for fun, I guess . . .
I really liked having them, but not at that cost.
They don't do that if you feed them green stuff - at least my yo-yos don't.

My mind is aglow with trancient nodes of thought, careening through a cosmic vapor of invention - Hedley Lamar

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode