Fish
Dwarf Puffer (2)
Oto (2)
Siamese Algae Eater (1) [Temporary inhabitant]
Amano Shirmp (2)
Rainbow Shrimp (3)
Rummy Nose Tetra (5)
Cory (1)

My question is in regards to my Glosso. Initially, it grew quite well—approximately one new runner every one to two days. Now, however, after six weeks, much of the once-thriving Glosso has died off and what remains seems to have stopped growing competely. All other plants are growing fine.

I am fertilizing daily with Dupla Plant 24 and have placed Jobe's Plant Food Spikes (For Lush Fern and Palms) in the substrate. I dose Plant Gro (Iron Enriched) once a week and Flourish Excel once every two days (in conjunction with the Hagen CO2 Natural Plant System).

Does anyone have an idea as to why the Glosso has stopped growing? Is a cessation of growth indicitive of a nutrient difficiency? If so, what nutrient? Or is this possibly the result of some other oversight on my part? Any theories or ideas you have will be greatly appreciated.

My searches on the internet regarding this problem have indicated that Glosso is a slow starter and that one can expect to have to wait over a month for it to take hold when it will then it grow like a weed. For a while I tried to take this advice, but you know how it is when it's your tank...you always think your problem is different—more complicated—than everyone else's even though it probably isn't. In any event, I am really curious as to what you think.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 07:00 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Slow growth is due to limited quantities of a critical nutrient, be it light, CO2, or macronutrients. You seem to be supplying the micronutrients, light and Carbon, but you didn't mention your N-P-K supplementation schedule.
What are your NO3 and PO4 levels? Also, do you supplement Potassium aside from what might be contained in the Dupla supps?

- Sam P -
Low Tech Planted Nanos with Bettas
Former Tank Journals:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 07:23 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
I have a very similar setup with Glosso, and it is still in the initial expansion stage, covering about 50% of the area that I want it to cover in 4 weeks. How did yours die off? Did it show any weird colors when it stopped growing? Or did the beautiful green leaflets just disintegrate?
My Glosso looks like it is starving a little, with the outer area of the leaf almost whitish, the middle remains green. That's what worries me as well. I added jobes, and I am using water from a different tank after changing water and dosing nutrients there... I am sure that's a bad idea, but it's so convenient. NO3 is about 10ppm in that tank, so I don't think that's the problem. Hope you figure out what's wrong with yours...

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 08:57 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
While Jobe's have made a huge difference for Swords, Crypts and tenellus in my tank, they don't seem to make much of a difference for glosso. Maybe glosso is more of a water-column feeder than a root feeder?

- Sam P -
Low Tech Planted Nanos with Bettas
Former Tank Journals:

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
GulfCoastAquarian, thanks for your reply. To be honest, I don't know what my NO3 is. With the population of my fish what it is, I never even considered that there might be a shortage of NO3. I am not sure what my PO4 level is either—algae, while not a huge problem, was present, so I assumed PO4 was there in sufficient quantity. After reading your post, I did go to my LFS to pick up a bottle of Kent's Potassium Suppliment. I will let you know if that takes care of my problem. Thanks again for your reply. I appreciate it.

Wasserpest, thank you for your reply. As my Glosso died it did not change color but seemed to disintegrate—in much the same way that plants leaves do when changing from emersed form. (Although, the leaves of Glosso in question here were not emersed form leaves.) I hope you too solve your Glosso problem.

Oh, GulfCoast, you might be right about Glosso being a water column feeder. Apparently my substrate has more than enought nutrients as my "slow growers," Dwarf Anubias Nana—planted in the substrate—and Dwarf Hairgrass are spreading so fast I am beginning to worry that the Glosso will not have any room in the event it ever does take off.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-14-2003, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
An update:

I took Sam's advice and dosed with K.
Unfortunately, I took Sam's advice a bit further than was prudent, and overdosed on several nutrients that lead to a terrible blue-green algae outbreak.
The BGA was a thick tar-like carpet all across my substrate. The Glosso I had worked so hard to grow and cultivate lay hidden and presumably dead under that nasty, suffocating muck.
Desperate, I dosed my tank with 200mg. of erythromycin to kill the BGA. By the next morning, much of the BGA had melted away and beneath it lay the most glorious sight.
A crisp green carpet of Glosso!

And while I would never recommend that a person intentionally overdose on nutirents to encourage a BGA outbreak, I must say that watching the BGA disolve and reveal a healthy carpet of Glosso is reminicent of those childhood Christmas mornings spent opening presents under the tree. (Except instead of tearing paper, imagine throwing the presents in the bathtub and letting the wrapping paper disintegrate.)

Thanks for your help, guys.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-14-2003, 06:19 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly Genius
Unfortunately, I took Sam's advice a bit further than was prudent, and overdosed on several nutrients that lead to a terrible blue-green algae outbreak.
What do your nitrate levels look like? BGA can be brought on by a nitrate limited tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode