Name this plant?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (53/98%)
I have not been keeping up my 40 tank due to moving situations but the tank has been set up and unattended for the past 2.5 months.

When I finally got time to do some maintance on it I found the plants over grown and this growing on the surface. What is it???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 11:30 AM
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)
Riccia

Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 01:30 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Good luck trying to get rid of it! haha. That looks like the surface of my tank! Riccia is a stinkin nutrient sponge, let me tell you!

- Sam P -
Low Tech Planted Nanos with Bettas
Former Tank Journals:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 01:35 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GulfCoastAquarian
Good luck trying to get rid of it! haha. That looks like the surface of my tank! Riccia is a stinkin nutrient sponge, let me tell you!
I wish mine would grow like that! Getting rid of it? Just take the whole bundle out and (sob) throw it out the window :cry:

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (53/98%)
It seems like there are mixed comments on this plant!!! Some want to toss it and some wish that they can get it to grow.

I'm getting tired of constantly removing clumps of Java Moss that seems to get into every nook and cranny in the tank. I was wondering if I can attach Riccia to driftwood just like Java Moss. Or will I have the same problem as Java Moss?

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 06:42 PM
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)
Riccia, java moss, algae, duckweed, I look at them all the same way now. Pests.

Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 06:49 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Riccia is easy to grow as a floating plant but is quite a hassle when trying to incorporate into a nice landscape. It doesn't attach to rocks like Java Moss. You need to tie it down and prune it regularly to keep the lower layers from rotting out.

- Sam P -
Low Tech Planted Nanos with Bettas
Former Tank Journals:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode