Do you guys use a powerhead in your planted tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Do you guys use a powerhead in your planted tank?

I just put a powerhead (maxijet 1200) in my 75 gallon tank. I placed it low in the tank to keep the water moving. From what I've read, plants don't like a lot of water movement and water movement also causes the co2 to outgas. However, with no water motion I would think my fish are in jeapordy. Should I put the PH on a timer or is one MJ1200 in a 75 gallon planted tank fine?

75 Gallon - 4x65w PC, HP CO2, Eheim 2217 feeding Aquamedic 1000 CO2 Reactor, Fluval 404, 18w UV filter (for emergencies), Peat Moss, Flourite, Eco-Complete and Onyx Substrate
Planted Tank Photo Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

72 Gallon Bow Front Reef with 20 Gallon Sump, MH + PC Hood, Wet/Dry, Calcium Reactor, 11w UV filter (for emergencies)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 05:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
I don't use one. My tank just has a normal sized HOB filter with a very small one (came with my 1g) on the other end. Started to notice my fish hung out on the side with the bigger filter so I stuck the small one on there. Now they inhabit the entire tank.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 05:18 PM

PTrader: (59/100%)
I use one. You need sufficient water movement, and some plants need that movement,not to mention, water quality depends on it and your filter will work better with that movement, at least that is the impression I am under. It was either that for my 90 gal, or I was going to get a second filter.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 05:19 PM
jhj

PTrader: (1/100%)
I use two, one is for CO2 mist and the other one is on the other side for water movement. I also have an eheim 2217 on my 75G
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 05:35 PM

PTrader: (11/100%)
I'm a believer in water movement as well. I don't have any huge tanks anymore, but long, deep, or oddly shaped tanks benefit from the extra push. When I've neglected a tank I'll run one for a while near the bottom--it seems to help them recover faster to keep things stirred up a little.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 05:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
I use a Maxijet 600 for water movement, for filtration and for CO2 mist. It seems that without good water circulation you can have stagnant areas with low or no CO2, and that's not good. But, it does increase the CO2 needed to maintain a set amount of CO2 ppm in the water. It appears that I need double or more the bubble rate with the powerhead than I needed without it.

Hoppy
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 10:28 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I use just a cheapo Penguin powerhead on the back right corner. The return from my Fluval 404 is on the back left corner. My powerhead only does 185 gph or so, so not a high concentrated flow rate, but enough to keep things stirring slightly. I just make certain that I'm not agitating the water's surface too much to prevent CO2 from spilling out.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Thanks for the replies. Thats pretty much what I've been doing. I have two canister filters running and I stuck the mj1200 in the bottom left corner and removed the sprayer from the top to keep the water from agitating the top. This seems to do well in my tank, glad to see I'm not doing it wrong.

75 Gallon - 4x65w PC, HP CO2, Eheim 2217 feeding Aquamedic 1000 CO2 Reactor, Fluval 404, 18w UV filter (for emergencies), Peat Moss, Flourite, Eco-Complete and Onyx Substrate
Planted Tank Photo Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

72 Gallon Bow Front Reef with 20 Gallon Sump, MH + PC Hood, Wet/Dry, Calcium Reactor, 11w UV filter (for emergencies)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 12:05 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
I use a marineland 1400 for diffusion.

Peace,
Ry

I raise my sword in the air in the battle against clado. I have been beaten in this battle but the war is not over. As my wounds heal I amass another army, an army with many legs, an army of Amano's......

I thrust my tridant into the mass of medusa like staghorn. I am wounded but I refuse to take a knee.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode