Questions on planting - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-14-2006, 03:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to wandathomas
Questions on planting

I have read the FAQ's and most articles and still have a few questions. If there is a thread that answers these, just point me to it.....

Do you plant the plants in "pots?" like those little black ones with slots? Or do you just stick them in the substrate?

What about cleaning the gravel? Do you remove the plants? Yipes - I hope not.

I have a 29G tank and 2x65W compact flo light. I went through the plant database (VERY NICE - thank you) and have a list of what I'd like to start with, but am having trouble with a "ground cover." It's hard to tell from some of the pictures exactly how they grow. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-14-2006, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandathomas
Do you plant the plants in "pots?" like those little black ones with slots? Or do you just stick them in the substrate?

What about cleaning the gravel? Do you remove the plants? Yipes - I hope not.

I have a 29G tank and 2x65W compact flo light. I went through the plant database (VERY NICE - thank you) and have a list of what I'd like to start with, but am having trouble with a "ground cover." It's hard to tell from some of the pictures exactly how they grow. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
If you are serious into setting up a planted tank,i would advise you to remove the plants from the pots,remove the rock wool that the plants are growing in,trim the roots of the plants a little and then plant the plants individually.This way,the plants will not be too cramped together.However,if you are only growing these plants for fun and have no intention on turning it into an aquascape then leaving them in the pot would be alright.

As for cleaning the gravel,personally i do not do so as it may disturb the substrate.I would leave everything as it is and get some corys to help finish any uneaten food.As for fish waste,i would leave it to the natural process of nitrification which involves the breaking down of the waste and it's compounds into harmless products that the plants can use for food.Furthermore,certain plant species like crypts and echinodorus do not fancy being pulled out all the time,,they are better left alone.Pulling the plants out will also disturb the substrate so it shoulld be minimised as far as possible.

Before thinking about what plants to get,you will have to first consider what kind of environment you will be able to provide for them. Environment in a sense that whether you will be dosing ferts? And if you will be supplying CO2 to the tank. Your lighting is currently sufficient IMO. However,a tank without CO2 and the dosing of ferts will mean that your choice of plants will be limited to perhaps crypt and anubius species and some others that do not require so much of these 2 factors.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-14-2006, 05:12 AM

Welcome to TPT. If you mean business then read this:http://rexgrigg.com/

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006, 03:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to wandathomas
I'm progressing

Thanks for the above advice. I built a DIY CO2 system based on the article by John LeVasseur (minus the reactor - using 18" airstone equivalent to start with until I get all the parts for the reactor). I used silicon to seal the tubing in the lids.

I started the yeast mixture 6 days ago and still no bubbles in the aquarium, but have some on the top of the mixture. Seem to remember reading it would take 3-4 days. What should I be seeing and should I be checking for an air leak? If so, how?

Thanks,
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 03:03 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
You should be getting bubbles within a day to two at most. You probably have leak is my guess. What I do is fill a bucket with water and dip my bottles etc into the water to see where the leak is at ( I do believe you have a leak in my opinion ). I had to add silicon to the inside of the bottle caps as well as a big mound of it wrapped around the hose where it comes out of the lids.
I have a 29 gal and I use three 2 lt bottles. I start them at different days, maybe a week apart or a little more. This way when I need to change one, the other two are still working so I don't loose much time between changes. Also I use a bubble counter that I made from a small bottle to watch the bubbles to see when the bubbles start to slow. My bottles are dated so I know which one to change. I hope this helps.

10 gallon hospital tank.
29 & 50 gallon - High Tech C02 enriched.
50 gallon Pond - Natural.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 03:04 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Also the reactor will give you much more co2 in your tank.

10 gallon hospital tank.
29 & 50 gallon - High Tech C02 enriched.
50 gallon Pond - Natural.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode