Which test kit to buy? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Which test kit to buy?

Ok guys, so i have recently set up a plant tank and i want to get a water test kit that includes all of the major water parameters...

Which kit do you guys recommend? I'd preferably like to buy a kit that comes with all the different tests but i wouldn't be opposed to buying them seperately...

Also, whats better - liquid type tests or stick type tests?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 09:41 PM

PTrader: (59/100%)
liquid
and don't bother with Fe
Get kH gH pH NO3 NH4 and take the PO4 with a grain of salt
Many of them are bad....my experience. If something seems wrong, question it. LaMotte has good kits but are pricey. Someone else may have a better alternative. I think outside a lab most of them stink...
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

any reason not to bother with Fe? is that cause i would need to dose it daily anyways?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 09:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to xcooperx
FE test kit is just a waste of money, PH and KH is the most imporatnt kit especially when you're running a DIY, i suggest buying Aquarium pharmaceuticals for the test kit

20 Gal. JBJ 2x65watts CF, ADA Aquasoil, JBJ Pressurized Co2, Rhinox 3000 and Aquaclear 50 (Current Tank)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Last Updated: April. 11, 2013
29 Gal. Coralife 130watts CF, ADA Aquasoil, JBJ Pressurized c02,Rhinox 2000 and Xp2 (RETIRED)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Last Updated: Dec. 15, 2006
20L 65watts CF , 100 % Eco-Complete, JBJ Pressurized co2 w/ Rhinox 1000 and Fluval 203 (RETIRED)
Last Updated: October 1, 2006
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2006, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh_newby
liquid
and don't bother with Fe
Get kH gH pH NO3 NH4 and take the PO4 with a grain of salt
Many of them are bad....my experience. If something seems wrong, question it. LaMotte has good kits but are pricey. Someone else may have a better alternative. I think outside a lab most of them stink...
any reason not to buy a Fe test? are someone erratic levels not too big of a deal with iron?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 01:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
With any of the test kits we can get at a reasonable price the accuracy is questionable. The tests for NO3, PO4, Fe are notorious for not being accurate at all. If you want to use them, and want to rely upon them, you have to calibrate them and make sure they will read accurately in the range you are interested in. It does no good if the lowest usable reading on a NO3 test is 20 ppm, for example. Since the ppm of iron we want is so low, it would be asking an awful lot for a cheap test kit to be able to read that low. And, the same is true for PO4.

Hoppy
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 10:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (48/100%)
what you need to do if you want to ensure accuracy in your test kits is set up a control. Make a solution with blank ppms of (nitrates, potassium, phosphorus) and test it with your test kit. This will let you see how accurate your test kit is as that concentration of what you are testing for. Go from there and adjust your results when you test your water accordingly. However with EI you really don't need to test for much. Maybe just kH.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agdavis
any reason not to buy a Fe test? are someone erratic levels not too big of a deal with iron?
Unless you have a lab with chromatopgraphy or a mass spec, the Fe kits you buy in the store will not be accurate...period.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 06:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh_newby
Unless you have a lab with chromatopgraphy or a mass spec, the Fe kits you buy in the store will not be accurate...period.
Atomic absorption AA is a fav for metals.
We use that for Copper.

See other Fe test thread recently.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 06:15 PM

you are right...heavy metals....
my point being such traces are most accurate in the lab, not in a crappy store-bought kit...they misrepresent the accuracy and hobbyists erroneously rely way too much on them

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode