Willow moss or Java moss?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (1/100%)
Willow moss or Java moss??

I recently bought some " Willow" moss from Aquabid.com. When I received the moss the other day, I couldn't tell what was. In my opinion, it looks an awful like Java moss. I would appreciate any other opinions concerning the mystery moss. By the way, here is a direct link to pictures of Willow moss, which I thought I was purchasing in the first place.

http://www.aquamoss.net/Willow-Moss/Willow-Moss.htm

Here is what I received:

http://s59.photobucket.com/albums/g2...gAnch=imgAnch1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 08:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
That does look like Java Moss.

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 08:20 PM
planted tank sickness

PTrader: (14/100%)
sorta hard to tell for sure, a better resolution pic would help a lot.

but, it does look like java moss, or at least the pic doesn't look like willow moss.

even under low co2 conditions, unlike many mosses, willow moss tends to look similar to when it is grown in good co2.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 08:47 PM
co2
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to co2 Send a message via Yahoo to co2
That is definitely not Willow Moss, and is almost definitely Java Moss. Willow Moss looks completely different than any other moss. Sorry.

The quality of moss sellers on Aquabid has really gone down lately, but there are a couple good ones. I have bought Willow Moss from "Aquaticmagic" on there before, he always sends very high quality moss, and always the correct species.

-Craig
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Here is the web page for the auction. I am very upset that I spent that much money and I received something I could get for free at the LFS. The seller has great feedback and I trusted him/her. I emailed the seller but he hasn't responded yet. I hope we can settle this matter in a civilized manner.

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...ntsf1152235511
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 09:23 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)
The photo of the moss on the auction page is not willow moss... so they didn't even know what they were selling in the first place.

But to be fair, lots of nicer mosses could be mistaken for java moss if not grown in good conditions. And moss can be very hard to ID by photo alone, but the photo in the auction page looks a bit more lush than java moss to me. So if that is in fact the moss they sent you, you might still have something worthwhile.

Willow moss is one of the few mosses that is very easy to ID from just a photo, so it's safe to say you don't have it.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

I am so confused when it comes to all these different types of moss. I have been doing tons of research over the past few days and my brain hurts.

I bought some Java moss at the LFS last week and it looks exactly like the moss I bought on Aquabid.com. I believe I am entitled to a partial refund because the moss I received and the moss advertised are completely different.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 10:42 PM
Algae Eater

PTrader: (249/100%)
Looks like you got ripped off to me

|
|
|
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

BigStick120- I am thinking the same way. The seller has a good feedback and over 60 transactions. I sent an email as soon as I looked at the moss and realized it wasn't what I had purchased. I haven't heard from the seller but I am hoping we can work something out. I only ask for a partial refund because I am willing to keep the Java moss but I believe I should get some compensation.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 10:57 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)
Next time you order a moss, I suggest aquaticmagic. You may be deterred from it b/c of his location but his service is great and so is his product. I'm guessing you purchased from this other guy b/c it was in the US.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 11:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
I think I have yet to hear a bad thing about AquaticMagic. Second I get paid I'm having one of my friends w/ paypal purchase me a a few rare crypts. That's my only problem, he is unable to take a M/O because of his location. Understandable.

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

I looked at Aquaticmagic's auctions and I am impressed. I didn't see him when I was searching for moss. Damn! How is the shipping time? I am guessing the plants are fine on delivery. I will surely use him when I get back from vacation. Thanks for the tips!
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 12:08 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
based on the lighting, angle, blur of the picture, not seeing it mounted and submersed, and lastley not under a microscope its hard to identify that moss. From what we see it can only be judged on how it is branching and the space inbetween branches. Sorry but to me it looks like any moss under the conditions you took the picture in. One thing I am forsure though is that it doesnot have sharp leaves like the willow moss that I have, maybe it is a different strain. Mount it and let it grow, then show us another CLEAN pic in a month.

Peace,
Ry

I raise my sword in the air in the battle against clado. I have been beaten in this battle but the war is not over. As my wounds heal I amass another army, an army with many legs, an army of Amano's......

I thrust my tridant into the mass of medusa like staghorn. I am wounded but I refuse to take a knee.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 01:55 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I think most know of my not so good trouble with foreign (non USA) dealers but Aquaticmajic has really done me well. BTW there is a pond moss here in the USA thats does look very similar to Java that most down here in Georgia call willow or pond moss. I sent a bunch to a lot of people including the Moss Page group.. It just might be it they're selling....Jim
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 07:20 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
here's an article on mosses you may find interesting. they all look the same to me. i have java moss, it's a big mess that i'm too lazy to deal with yet.

http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/...ng_Mosses.html

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode