bio film on top of the tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via AIM to playaslk Send a message via Yahoo to playaslk
bio film on top of the tank

hey,

I just reset up an old 10g tank i had sitting around with a mix of flourite and regular gravel. I tried washing the gravel mix but apparently did not do a great job. There is a film on top of the water now which blocks alot of the light. What can i do about it? (trying to syphon water out isnt really working since the film is on top). Where does it come from? Any info is appreciated.

D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 01:25 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
It's hydrophobic organic molecules that tends to stay on top of the water, basically this is a sign of not optimal water quality. To minimize it: feed less, add filter or powerheads to increase water circulation, vacuum substrate and change water often. A surface skimmer will remove it completely although it's a good idea to improve water quality first.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 01:27 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to daveonbass
surface skimmer...Or just use a paper towel. It will cling to the towel and then you can topit back off if you have to. But I've done that and it will most likely take a couple of paper towels to clear it up. ALSO if you have a pump or a spray bar that you can angle more to the surface...that will agitate it...and help break it up. And then you could get surface swimmers like mollies that can sometimes help eat it or at least break it up.
the point is that there are a lot of ways...but it's hard to tell what would be best without knowing more about the setup.

dave

75g, 2-XP3's, pressurized CO2, inline reactor, 384 Watt CF orbit

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via AIM to playaslk Send a message via Yahoo to playaslk
actually i have no fish in there, just a few plants and wood. No water movement, no filters. I was gonna throw some shrimp in there, but at this point i will wait.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 02:12 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)
Try some snails- I got a used 20 long that had lots of the surface scummy/oily film. I noticed my snails were leaving trail marks in the film just like they do algae on the glass, seems to me they eat it? At any rate it eventually went away. Maybe it was a coincidence but its worth a shot.
I had ramshorn and pond snails in the tank I don't remember which ones I saw with the trails but they both were skimming the surface.
HTH- lemme know if you try it and it works.

"An idea does not gain truth as it gains followers"-Amanda Bloom

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: 8 praecox, 4 SAEs, 1 blue acara, 1 yoyo, 1 botia kubotai, 1 florida flag fish, 1 rubberlip pleco
Other tanks: HRP's, unknown shrimp, cherry shrimp, endler's, brigs, ramshorns, swordtails
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 02:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
Quote:
Originally Posted by playaslk
actually i have no fish in there, just a few plants and wood. No water movement, no filters. I was gonna throw some shrimp in there, but at this point i will wait.

Same thing on my super low tech moss nano sitting on a sill. Nothing but a few tagalong snails in there so screw em'. The film is inevitable.

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 03:14 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/88%)
If you use the siphon type gravel vacs you can get the siphon started and then turn the tube in the tank upside down and get it close to the surface creating a mini vortex that will skim the surface......I use this technique to remove duckweed from the top of my tank all the time.....

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode