New here - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-07-2006, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
New here

I'm new here. Was into freshwater several years ago, then went to a reef tank. I just finished shutting down the reef and am in process of starting up a 150 gal (72x18x26) planted tank. Starting freshwater again, I want to attempt to "do it right" now, instead of saying "I should have done...." later.

I plan on using about 2.5 inches of Eco-Complete as substrate. Lighting is a Coralife 72" Aqualight Pro, 3x 150W HQI + 2x 96W 6700k + 2x 96W 10000k + 4 Blue Moonlight LEDs. I did the mix on 6700 and 10000k because I like the "whiter" light. Bad habit from reefing, I guess. I plan on starting with the PCs only, then running the halides for an hour or so mid-day.

Filtration will be a FilStar XP3 and an AquaClear 110. Filstar will be mainly biological, not sure on the AquaClear yet. Does anyone use Seachem Renew or Purigen?

I have ordered a CO2 regulator and controller, still need to get a tank. How long will a 5 lb tank of CO2 using a controller last? Will I be better off just spending a few more bucks now and getting a 10 lb tank?
I plan on feeding the output of the CO2 into the intake of the XP3. Please feel free to say if this is good, bad or ugly. I have read some that say it works just fine and others that say I'll need a reactor. It seems like the canister would pretty much act just like a reactor, filled with bio media. Opinions are certainly welcome.

It will be a community tank. I have a 40 long that I will likely start up in a while to put a couple smaller cichlids. Also have a 29 that I may put a few livebearers in. One at a time, though.

Nearly forgot, BASIC 101. Been so long since I had freshwater, what temperature should my tank be? I seem to recall 76 -78 degrees.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-07-2006, 05:11 PM

PTrader: (59/100%)
Welcome!!!
5 lbs of CO2 should last you 6 months or so. Your setup is nice. Kind of similar to mine, but I run my metals longer.
I also use Purigen, it is a nice polisher.
I run mine 76-78 degrees, some like it a little colder? It works for me.
You will find people here VERY helpful. Good luck and keep us up with your progress. Utilize the search feature and check out the photo gallery. We like pictures here...lol
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-08-2006, 02:17 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the response.

I'm hoping for some opinions on the CO2 setup. I keep trying to decide if I should just do it like I said, build a reactor (I've seen the plans and it would take longer to get the stuff, than to build it), or just buy a reactor. But then, IF if buy, which one?

And we do this to relax, right?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-08-2006, 02:35 AM
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
I might have to give Purigen a try. It is fairly cheap. I have been using Chemipure for many years in my reef tank and love it. I use it now in my freshwater tank..

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-08-2006, 02:39 AM Thread Starter

I used Purigen in my reef and it worked really well. Water was sparkling clear. Nice thing too, with some bleach it can be regenerated. Soak it a while, rinse the heck out of it, soak it in water with dechlorinator for a while and it's good to go again.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-08-2006, 02:41 AM
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
I just replaced my Chemipure bag and it will last another 4 months minimum. I will order some in a month or so or maybe I could just add a bag and use both? Hmmmm.

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode