white polyp-looking things attached everywhere?!?! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-07-2006, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to seastar0328 Send a message via MSN to seastar0328 Send a message via Yahoo to seastar0328
Exclamation white polyp-looking things attached everywhere?!?!

I recently set up 2 tanks. One 5.5 and one 20 long. I am attempting to breed apistogramma cacatuoides. They are currently housed in the 5.5 until breeding occurs (looks to be very soon) and then they will be grown out in the 20. I have had the 20 up and running for about 2 weeks with no fish. I was about to add zebra danios to help with the cycling today but something startled me this evening when looking at the glass. I thought to myself that I should really clean the water spots off of the glass when I took a closer look. Tiny white polyp/jellyfish looking opaque white things attached everywhere on everything. Also, a classic white film floats on the top of this tank as well as in nearby tanks regardless of whether or not they are open-topped. That being said I have several possible explanations for this or possibilities for what this would be but I want to make sure before I introduce any fish, especially babies. I have read many posts here on fungus. I am thinking this may be what it is.

Substrate is eco complete and tahitian moon sand. Plants used in this tank were from a previous tank. There is a sword, some cabomba, and a val. Cycling media included new bag of substrate, "dirty sponge" used in several other tanks, and 2 filter sponges used in other tanks.

I noticed this today but can't say it was or wasn't there before but last night I added 2 small pieces of driftwood and a rock found locally. Both were boiled for about an hour.

Possible causes: My first suspect is the wood or rock. The wood was bought at a fish store I have never been in before. The wood is not grapewood or anything specific to reptiles though the reptile and fish decor were intermingled. I asked the lfs owner if it was safe for aquariums. She said she believed it was so I only bought two small pieces to try out. I boiled them to be safe. The rock was found locally. I boiled that as well. Both were added last night. Some of this stuff can be seen on the rock and on the wood which are both set on top of one another. My second suspicion involves the plants. I collected some m.quadrifolia (sp?) and had it in a q tank for awhile, I didn't notice any fungus but I bleach rinsed it anyway. I added it to an established tank and have not seen any of this fungus-looking stuff in that tank. A week later I took the plants housed with the m.quadrifolia from the established tank and added those plants to the 20. I also kept the m. quadrifolia in a 2.5 gal alone and noticed a single white "leaf" with "tentacles" protruding from it stuck to the glass. This "leaf" is quite large in comparison to the outbreak of small ones in the other tank. My third suspicion is the dirty sponge purchased at the lfs several months ago, it was a sponge kept in their system and was used in several of our tanks, all have fish, none have this stuff in the tank but I'm wondering if the fish just eat it. My fourth suspicion is the substrate being eco complete. I have never used it before, could this be a result of the "beneficial bacteria" contained in the bag?

I don't want to lose these eggs though they are not in the infected tank, their tank includes plants housed with the wild m.quadrifolia also. I have not noticed any evidence of this stuff in their tank as of yet. I want to know if that is fungus, if it is dangerous or one of the kinds that the fish will just eat. If it is dangerous (or marginally dangerous) what should be used to eradicate it? Should I treat all tanks whether or not they have the so-called fungus since nets/decor/water changing equipment/plants all seem to travel between tanks from time to time?

Sorry for the long post but any info would be greatly appreciated. I did a fungus search and am wondering if this is what has been described in the other fungus posts....you can never be too safe IMO. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-07-2006, 12:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
Use a toothbrush to scrub it off and use a small diameter hose to suck it out while you scrub.

Eco made my tankwater have a film on it. I didnt notice any other visual problems. I had some bad eco.

You may want to try a product called furan-2 if you are plagued by fungus. I think you are on the right traack trying to identify the problem. I would also try to get pics of it and get rid of it.

Want to see more...check out my website
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-07-2006, 07:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Sounds more like hydra than fungus. I bet they'd eat your fry...

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-07-2006, 08:26 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
The white polyps you describe could be freshwater hydra. They consume anything small enough to be trapped in their tentacles. Hydra can be a real nuisance in fry tanks as they will eat both small fry, baby brine shrimp, and any other live foods for the fry. Various fish including many livebearers and gouramis will eat hydra. Fluke tabs and other medications for erradication of protazoans should also rid your tank of the hydra.

Eheim Pimp #181

29g High-tech jungle
5.5g Low-tech jungle
2.5g x 2 Low-tech shrimp and moss

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode