5galls what to do - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
5galls what to do

Ok I just got a 5 gallon tank. I'm us to big tanks like 55g and 112g 5g is the smallest i have ever had other then the betta tank.

I'm wondering what do I need for the tank? I was going to have my 6" blue diamond discus in the tank but I think that’s to small for them. I guess there going to have to weight to have there young when I get room to move the other discus.

What can I put in this tiny tank? any suggestion? plants to anything please suggest away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006, 02:33 AM
Algae Eater

PTrader: (249/100%)
How about a shrimp tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006, 02:34 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)
This would make a good betta tank, or shrimp, endler's livebearers...
As for plants how about a moss carpet with some java fern or anubias?
HTH- have fun with it

"An idea does not gain truth as it gains followers"-Amanda Bloom

: 8 praecox, 4 SAEs, 1 blue acara, 1 yoyo, 1 botia kubotai, 1 florida flag fish, 1 rubberlip pleco
Other tanks: HRP's, unknown shrimp, cherry shrimp, endler's, brigs, ramshorns, swordtails

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006, 02:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

If I made it a shrimp tank would I have to be like working my ass of like I do with my discus when it comes to breading?

I red one forum on hear breading shrimp and tetra’s is like rocket science. LoL I want something simple this time. lol I'm exhausted with the over powering new stuff I have to find out about my discus every day.

Don't et me wrong I love it. just like something small for once.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006, 03:46 AM
Algae Eater

PTrader: (249/100%)
Depends on what type you want to keep, you could throw some cherries in there, moss sponge filter and they will do fine, change water once a week or say and they will breed like rabbits

|
|
|
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006, 03:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Do I need a heater, and filter, or just a bubler? I'm deffiently likeing the shrimp Idea. Also how much $$$ do you think it will take to get this tank set up?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006, 03:58 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)
Should be very cheap. You just need a sponge filter with bubbler, gravel/sand, and some moss. You'll want to keep the temperature around 76-78 for best results, so I supposed it all depends on whether you can maintain a range similar to that without a heater.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006, 04:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I can always grab an extra heater from my other tanks I got 2. In them I'm thinking of getting some course stone and putting it over some peat moss.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006, 04:55 AM

PTrader: (5/100%)
I love my 15 gal invert tank! I have cherries, amanos and MTS. They are loads of fun. My cherries are still a bit young for breeding, but my snails are spreading rapidly I think I am going to attempt to breed my amanos when I see one carrying eggs. It will probably be a challenge but I'm up for it! I just hope I didn't get stuck with all males... out of 6 I sure hope one is female. The sides of them all seem to be dots though.... only one might be dashed lines but it's iffy.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

so what are the specs of the srim and there life span. male female and things like that? I was thinking a pair of cribenzas in with the shrimp. or will they eat them? Or a male and female fancy tail guppies.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ok there where only grean/blue algae shrimp I got 6 for my 5 gallon tank. I also got a plant that looks like a long growing bush.

what can i feed the shrimp is some fish food ok like flake? I was also wondering is 3 neon cardinal tetras ok in with them?
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006, 12:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to the_noobinator
my shrimp enjoy shrimp pellets and blanched zucchini.

30gal extra high:

10gal:

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006, 04:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
If you intend on breeding the shrimps, DON'T keep fish with them. My fish are fine with the adult shrimp, but in 2 months of ownerships, I have not seen a single shrimplet, and the consensus is that my fish are hunting them down and feasting on them. I plan on doing a shrimp only tank because of that.

Filstar pimp #59 (shhhh on the Eheim)
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

The only reason why I put them in there is because I have a 55 gallon directed to my pair of blue diamonds. The 112 has rams, sea algae eaters, and discus. when I put the tetra’s in the ram look like it was going to eat them.

When i first put them in the 5g they went after the shrimp only to find that he was going to fight with his other 6 buddies. LoL there troupers. So I have no where to put these fish. I'm thinking about putting them in the toilet and hope the reproduce in lake Ontario. lol that be cool but no.

The big alls store guy says there hard to bread. Is that true? I so far have seen them eat the flake food or rip it a part it all looks the same. But it is really cool when you shine the flash light in and see him running and eating like he has just stolen it from the morning bakery.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006, 06:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:
so what are the specs of the srim and there life span. male female and things like that? I was thinking a pair of cribenzas in with the shrimp. or will they eat them? Or a male and female fancy tail guppies.
Do you mean kribensis? And what is srim?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode