CO2 questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-02-2006, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via AIM to playaslk Send a message via Yahoo to playaslk
CO2 questions

ok so I have a setup of a 20lb tank which I just got yesterday (supposed to be completely filled)

1. The guage reads 1100 psi filled. Shouldnt it be close to 2000?
2. The guage runs into a Aquamedic 1000 with the outlet of the filter AND the CO2 line coming into the top of the reactor and the spraybar exiting from the bottom. Did I set that up right? (with the thought that the CO2 would make a little bubble resevoir uptop and the outlet water would rush through it absorbing more gas on its way down).
3 If there is a resevoir of CO2 up top in the reactor (small/ maybe a 1/4 of an inch spacewise) do i still have to bubble CO2 in or wait for all that to get dissolved in?
4. Where is the cheapest place to buy test kits since the only one i have is pH, and KH. (follow up q is what are the necessary kits that I need).

Just a little about my tank. It is a 55 gallon with 2 4 foot shoplights overtop with 40watt bulbs (160 watts max but I would guess its probably 30% less in reality). Pressurized CO2 Milwaukee regulator, solenoid and bubble counter; Aquamedic CO2 reactor. Flourish complete weekly dosing w/ Jobes plant spikes in the Soilmaster Select Red substrate. Fish are 5 angelfish, 2 clown loaches, 3 cories, and 8 otos.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-02-2006, 05:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
I think you should look at getting some ferts from GregWatson.com. They are cheap and great.

10 gallon hospital tank.
29 & 50 gallon - High Tech C02 enriched.
50 gallon Pond - Natural.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-02-2006, 08:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
At normal room temperature a filled CO2 cylinder should read around 800 PSI.

I'm hoping that the guage is not going into the reactor but the CO2 is.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-02-2006, 09:49 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to daveonbass
every time I get a refill of CO2 (5 lbs bottle) the guage can read anywhere from between 1000 to 1500. the guy at the refill store said that this isn't possible but that is what it says. So I think it can vary. I wouldn't be too worried, but 20 lbs is a lot of CO2. I have the same reactor...and at the proper bubble rate the top of the chanber does not get filled with a big empty space of air anymore. so I would say lower the ammount flowing out (of CO2). But what is left in there usually does just go away and dissolve into the water. If you have a LOT of air...just open the vaulve at the top and release the gas. But the pressure sounds ok to me.

dave

75g, 2-XP3's, pressurized CO2, inline reactor, 384 Watt CF orbit

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode