Help aquascaping, what would you change? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-01-2006, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (29/100%)
Help aquascaping, what would you change?

Hi Everyone!

Forgive the tank, tomorrow I will be cleaning and possibly moving a few plants around. And my "wolf" pack tends to have way too much testosterone! They are constantly pulling up plants and rearranging to their liking. This is the Finnex 8g tank; I have had it up for about a month after tearing it down and moving out of state and starting over. I am excited to say that since I have upgraded the lights I am starting to get pearling! I am so excited, something is finally working!

Here is where I need help.

I thought when I chose my plants they would have a bit more contrast... none to be found. What would you suggest for additional plants that might provide more contrast yet stay on the smaller side? Would you change the plant layout? If so, what do you think would be pleasing?

Over all I am pretty happy with it (although, I could do without my wolf pack if any one local wants to adopt them!) But it really seems to be lacking... well, lacking something but I am just not sure what.

Thank you for any suggestions or ideas, I really need them!

Duff
Tank Spec's:
Lighting: 48w
Dose Excel at recommended amount
Dose the Seachem Flourish line as recommended (flourish, Iron, Nitrogen, Potassium, and Phosphorus.
Ammonia 0
PH 8.0 ( darn Dallas water) Any suggestions here?
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
I need to get a few more test kits to see what else might be going on from the co2 side.

Plants
Wisteria
Baby Tears
Dwarf Hair Grass
Egeria Najas
Riccia (used the plastic mesh method that seems to be working pretty well)

A couple of snails: Ramshorns, Nerite (sp?) and a ba’zillion eggs.
5 lyre tail guppies: still up for adoption
10 or so cherry shrimp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-01-2006, 11:05 PM

PTrader: (11/100%)
I'd let the wisteria get tall in the left rear corner. In front of the hole in the wood on the left, I'd pick a less fussy looking plant--maybe small form lobellia or a cluster of small crypts, or even some anubias. Your current planting has the potential to grow into a nice triangular layout--it just needs to fill in a little.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-02-2006, 03:44 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
I think the best thing you can do right now, Duff, would be to let the plants grow in a bit.

The wisteria will get taller, as OI suggested, and the foreground and Riccia will fill in as well.

The only other suggestion I would make would be to ditch the Egeria. The plant grows to wobbly, it is all over the place. A nice, fine leafed plant..like milfoil or R. walichii would look better.

Mike

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-02-2006, 04:16 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (30/100%)
I would second ditching the Egeria. Other than that, I think it will look great when it fills in. Just give it time and keep an eye on the baby tears because it will fill in quicker than the hairgrass and will need to be cut eventually so it doesn't take over the hairgrass.

BTW, I don't know if you tried it or now, but amano uses baby tears, dwarf hairgrass, and riccia in quite a lot of his small tanks, and they look great !
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-02-2006, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for the feed back!

observant_imp, I'll do some research and take your idea and see what I can find. I also have a small 2.5g tank with a little bit of everything in it as a grow out tank for this one, possibly something from there will fit in

Momotaro, Thanks for the plant rccomendation, I'll look into them. I'll ditch the Egeria and move it to another tank for now and let the rest grow out.

Fosty, I love Amanos' tanks, that is prt of the reason I choose what I did, altough I missed it with the Egeria... Your right it is wobbly and drives me crazy!

I have another question if anyone cares to weigh in, I have a nice Java fern in another tank, would it be ok to move to this one? the othr tank is lower light and this one has 48w. Would I kill it with that much light?

Duff
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006, 12:44 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
The Java ferns may be a bit too big for the aquascape. The leaves could appear to be too heavy.

Best thing to do is move some in and see how they look! You can always remove them!

Mike
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006, 05:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thks Momotaro, I took everyones' advice and took out the egeria (moved to another tank) and cleared out some of the HM where observant_imp suggested and stuck my Java Fern there for now. It is still pretty small, only about 2 inches tall and maybe 3inches long. It seems to fit for now.

I figured it was best to put a few plants back in to replace the Egeria once I took it out. Since the tank is doing well, I did not want to upset the balance too much. I also moved over a few smallish crypt I have to help also. My poor 2.5g looks like a sad refuge for forgotten plants!

I looked at the two plants you suggested and they both are pretty close in color to what I currently have, do you have any possible suggestions for a similar plant that might be a bit to the darker green side? I like the color contrast of the Java fern but I know it will eventually get to big.

Thanks again, Duff

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode