Noob with Slow plant growth - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-30-2006, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Noob with Slow plant growth

I have had my tank set up for over a month now. When I first got my plants and put them into my tank I was amazed at the growth rate. It looked like I was going to have to do some pruning every week or so. Surprisingly my plant growth has REALLY slowed down and I haven't had to prune in some time. I was wondering what your thoughts are as to why my plant growth has really slowed. I don't want to have them stop and end up with algae everywhere.

Here are my specs:
20gallon long, 2wpg of NO fluorescent- 1 6700K Hagen Lifeglo bulb and 1 Hagen Aquaglo (18000K) bulb
Temp 78-80F
pH 7.0
Nitrate between 10 and 20ppm
Nitrite and Ammonia at 0ppm
Phosphate at 0.5-1 (it was at 10ppm 2wks ago after having used pHDown not knowing it has phosphates in it. Water changes and Phosguard successfully lowered it)
Substrate mix of eco-complete and small grain gravel
White cloud minnows, red-tailed rasboras, otos, cories, amano shrimp

Fertilizing:
I do not have DIY C02 going and am instead using Excel every day (when I remember)
Flourish twice a week
Flourish Iron once a week (my swords were yellowing and stems were melting)
Kent Blackwater extract once a week after water change
Tetra Florapride once a week after water change.

Plants are:
Corkscrew vals, wisteria (the only one really growing fast right now), ludwigia repens, bacopa caroliniana, java fern, java moss, crypt wendtii, micro sword, amazon sword, rotala indica, red lotus, hornwort (growing really slow now and started out growing like a weed), tenellus

Do I not have enough light? Would it be worthwhile to get a coralife T-5 strip and add another 18W for 2.9wpg or will I have to do DIY CO2 with that? Should I switch my Aquaglo to a Lifeglo for 2 bulbs with 6700? Am I not adding enough ferts?

My 10gallon with 2wpg of screw in CF and has anacharis and wisteria growing like weeds. It is on the same schedule of water changes and ferts. Any thoughts greatly appreciated!
-T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-30-2006, 03:24 PM

PTrader: (59/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monatobias
I have had my tank set up for over a month now. When I first got my plants and put them into my tank I was amazed at the growth rate. It looked like I was going to have to do some pruning every week or so. Surprisingly my plant growth has REALLY slowed down and I haven't had to prune in some time. I was wondering what your thoughts are as to why my plant growth has really slowed. I don't want to have them stop and end up with algae everywhere.

Here are my specs:
20gallon long, 2wpg of NO fluorescent- 1 6700K Hagen Lifeglo bulb and 1 Hagen Aquaglo (18000K) bulb
Temp 78-80F
pH 7.0
Nitrate between 10 and 20ppm
Nitrite and Ammonia at 0ppm
Phosphate at 0.5-1 (it was at 10ppm 2wks ago after having used pHDown not knowing it has phosphates in it. Water changes and Phosguard successfully lowered it)
Substrate mix of eco-complete and small grain gravel
White cloud minnows, red-tailed rasboras, otos, cories, amano shrimp

Fertilizing:
I do not have DIY C02 going and am instead using Excel every day (when I remember)
Flourish twice a week
Flourish Iron once a week (my swords were yellowing and stems were melting)
Kent Blackwater extract once a week after water change
Tetra Florapride once a week after water change.

Plants are:
Corkscrew vals, wisteria (the only one really growing fast right now), ludwigia repens, bacopa caroliniana, java fern, java moss, crypt wendtii, micro sword, amazon sword, rotala indica, red lotus, hornwort (growing really slow now and started out growing like a weed), tenellus

Do I not have enough light? Would it be worthwhile to get a coralife T-5 strip and add another 18W for 2.9wpg or will I have to do DIY CO2 with that? Should I switch my Aquaglo to a Lifeglo for 2 bulbs with 6700? Am I not adding enough ferts?

My 10gallon with 2wpg of screw in CF and has anacharis and wisteria growing like weeds. It is on the same schedule of water changes and ferts. Any thoughts greatly appreciated!
-T
my guess is..excel not efficient enough...flourish alone is not good enough for macros either. You need a way to get better CO2 in the tank, and you need some NO3 PO4 K ...There is an EI light regime for 2wpg. Your light is fine for many of your plants, but I think they are not getting enough carbon and macros....that is one thing to look at...
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-30-2006, 07:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
I agree with "fresh" about the ferts. You may be relying on test kits to determine how much nitrate and phosphate are in the water. That isn't the best idea. Just dose the ferts, do weekly water changes, and you will not get too much in the water, plus the plants will grow very well. CO2 is always helpful, but Excel may be enough for the low light intensity you have (the 18000K bulb isn't as effective as the lower K bulbs)

Hoppy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode