I'm FURIOUS WITH MY TANK! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-27-2003, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via AIM to NyCzBuBba
Oh man! You do not know. My tank just bombed out on me! All of a sudden my water became all cloudy I can't see in my tank. My Discus aren't eating. I lost an expensive pleco. My shrimp dissappeared. My heater has moisture in it. My plants are dying, Threw out all the java moss that was on my wood because it just collects dirt and didn't even look nice which I bought on aquabid gor 20$ for a small chunk(picture showed REALLY nice green.) My Cryptacorn wendtii the leaves are withering away but still grows new ones what's up with that? I am very upset with my tank and totally clueless of what to do besides water changes. I did a 50% water change and went through the gravel hopefully that will affect something :cry:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-27-2003, 08:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
...seems like someone has been slacking on the maintenance...

cloudiness can be a sign of ammonia buildup, but i think at those levels it woud have killed your fish allready.

I would set up a new tank with bio-spira and tetra blackwater asap if i were you, discus arent known for hanging in there.

tried a carbon in your filter to get some of the particles out of the water yet?

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-27-2003, 08:18 PM
Planted Tank VIP

Ok... sounds like you have a few things going on that need some attention. We want to help you out, but lets get some info from you.

1.) How large is your tank
2.) How much light is over you tank
3.) What are your water Parameters (Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, Phosphate, etc)
4.) How old is the tank
5.) Have you changed anything recently
6.) Get a new heater, leaks are bad news

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-27-2003, 08:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

what g said...

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2003, 02:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

The tank is 46gallong bow
90 watts
Ammonia 0, PH 6.5, Nitrite ?,Nitrate ?,Phosphorus? should I get these kits?
2 months old
I changed the filter before it clouded. It's a fluval 303 I disconnected it rinsed the sponge bio media stuff and took out the carbon and ammonia chips.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2003, 03:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

how long has this been standing with the water in?

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2003, 05:21 AM

You rinse the bio media in tap water?? What is the temperature of the tank?
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2003, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well I had my tank setup maybe 3 months ago. It's been cloudy for about 3 days. Yes I did clean bio media with tap water. temperture is at 86 degrees F
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2003, 06:50 PM
Planted Tank VIP

Ok... here is a theory.

You say you just removed Ammo chips and Carbon from your filter, and the tank is only 3 months old (young for a tank). You also rinsed your sponges.

My guess is you have removed a significant ammount of the bacteria that normally processes the nitrification process in your tank. By removing hte Carbon and Ammo chips you reduced the surface area for bacteria, as well as potentially causing the beginning of ammonia spike.

You see if you use Ammo chips initially with a new tank you can actually prolong or postpone the cycle of the tank. The ammo chips absorb the ammonia that is needed to feed the bacteria. When you removed them, you may have caused a minor spike that caused a bacteria bloom (because they now have food).

At this point, I would replace the missing media with Fluval Biomedia or some other biological media. You should have something else in there aside from the prefilter sponges to colonize bacteria on. This way, you can freely rinse out your sponges without decimating the bacteria colonies in the filter.

Let your tank run with the new media for another month or two, it should recover. Your water may even clear up naturally in a few weeks.

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2003, 07:29 PM

I think what Gdomminy is that case, I cleaned my tank a week ago, and it became cloudy(i rinsed biomedia with tap water). I just let it go, and it cleared within a few days(assuming you have a pretty balanced tank that is.)
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2003, 08:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Do you have enough plants?! I mean at least use Matrix as your bio-media, it is the most effecient bio-media around. It reduces ammonia, nitrite, and even nitrate. But if your going to have alot of plants you wont need it since it will cut down on nitrates ,and that is your "plant food". Plus, Discus need plants for long term survival. Did you do all your homework before you bought the Discus, and is your tank completly cycled? Add BIO-Spira, it might save your @$$...!
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-29-2003, 04:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yeah my tank was cycled long enough. I contacted my breeder the first day I set it up he told me I would have to wait. Then 2 1/2 months later he said I can put them in. I had cardinals in there. My discus and fish are all doing fine. Just the water is cloudy.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-29-2003, 07:48 AM
Wannabe Guru

Is it really white? It might be a bacterial bloom, since you added new fish and they have more food now. If it is, it shall clear up in a couple of days. Is your tank heavily planted?
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-29-2003, 11:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Have you tried one of those products which takes small particles out of suspension?

As a word of advice...
In future only "clean" 1 component of your filter at a time...
Scoop some of your tank water in a small container and use that to clear all debris, tap water would easily kill natural bacteria. You do not need a sparkling filter, only one that does not impede the flow of water.

I didn't know about not using coal with discus, but that tends to help well with microfiltration of particles... (except coconut charcoal, cause the holes are too small to deal with larger particles and clogs up quickly).

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-29-2003, 12:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

Why wouldn't you use carbon? Because it alters with your pH? MatrixCarbon is pretty useful- Total Surface Area (TSA): 500-600 m2/cc; TSA/PV: 770-1100; Iodine#: >1000; Molasses#: > 600; pH in distilled water: < 7.2; Leachable Phosphate: < 0.01 mg/cc.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode