GH and fert question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
GH and fert question

Hello- I have had my 60 gal up for about 1 1/2 years-have always used the tap water but never did too much testing, always had algae problems-so I finally deceided to go for it all the way and get every fert and test kit I could and try to stay within all parameters- well.... in other words I am going to make this tank as beautiful as I can. So here is my Questions:

1. bought a potassium test kit (they say to dose, but nobody tests for it?) the 3ppm sample is just faintly more cloudy than the 1ppm sample-they say to keep it at 2ppm.
I tested mine -looked like milk-probably at 50ppm is that bad?

2. my tap water tests at 12GH too high? should I use 1/2 RO and 1/2 city for my weekly 35% water change?

3. (ok so 3 questions ) currently I have 2 65 watt corallife (1-10,000K/1-6700K) lighting sound ok? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 08:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Plants need potassium, but the amount, as I understand it, isn't at all critical. You are very unlikely to have too much.
Hard water grows most plants very well, so your GH isn't likely to be a problem.
Your 130 watts give you a bit more than 2 watts per gallon, so that should be ok too.
The question you didn't ask was, how about that carbo plus thingee for CO2? I suspect that is your main problem - it isn't ok.
Your other problem is that Flourish alone is inadequate for fertilizing. You need nitrates and phosphates in quantities greater than ordinary Flourish contains.

Hoppy
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hi Hoppy- Yes that Carbo plus thingee is right, but I keep it on with the lights only 10 hours- my C02 has been between 20-25ppm (using KH/PH chart) It is pricey .(I understand) when you have to replace the carbon block and holder ($50) lasts about a year.What I am Doing on ferts is the full Flourish line including Flourish tabs for my swords, I am using the seachem dosing schedule that they supply on their website. Flourish,excell,potassium,iron,nitrogen,phosphorus ,ect. how does that sound?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 11:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
It all sounds pretty good to me, but I haven't heard of anyone who was satisfied with the Carbo plus units for tanks as big as 60 gallons. If you are convinced you have over 20 ppm of CO2, and are not having BBA problems, I would say you are doing ok. In my opinion, the key is whether or not you can avoid algae problems, most of which seem to end up being related to CO2 deficiencies.

Hoppy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode