Active versus passive CO2 diffusion - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2006, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Active versus passive CO2 diffusion

New to this wonderful hobby. Does anyone have any knowledge of the turbo-jet diffuser? I 'am reading that active diffusion is much better in dissolving co2 in the water column than passive due to co2 saturation at the passive diffuser site and hence loss for passive methods. Thanks for all replies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2006, 08:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (66/100%)
I am not aware of active Vs passive. What kind of set-up do you having? In-line reactor, Hagen Ladder and what kind of CO2 are you running? Compressed or DIY CO2? Regards, JC.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2006, 08:50 PM
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
I take passive as the hagen ladder and active as either a reactor inline or use of other "power source" The use of a powersource of course is going to get better saturation

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2006, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

I have the hagen ladder with their yeast mixture. I will be trying the jello diy mixture when this runs out and hopefully get more co2 running time.

When I refer to active I mean mixing the bubbles with turbulent water in a chamber. I want to ensure the co2 is getting dispersed throughout the tank effectively
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2006, 11:56 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaimeallen
When I refer to active I mean mixing the bubbles with turbulent water in a chamber. I want to ensure the co2 is getting dispersed throughout the tank effectively
This is the problem with a "passive" method, not so much better saturation, but better distribution throughout the tank with active dissolving. The ladder works well for smaller tanks, as long as there is good circulation everywhere.

What size tank do you have, and what kind of filter?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest
This is the problem with a "passive" method, not so much better saturation, but better distribution throughout the tank with active dissolving. The ladder works well for smaller tanks, as long as there is good circulation everywhere.

What size tank do you have, and what kind of filter?
I have a 20L using a fluval 203. I have good water movement in the tank.

As the bubbles reach the top they get smaller and I suspect co2 dissolution is occuring however many tiny bubble reach the water surface and breaks with co2 being lost.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 06:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
I had a 26 US gallon bowfront and I couldn't get decent 30ppm CO2 with a turbo mini vortex in tank reactor. The powerhead would run dry when I cranked the CO2 up flooding the impeller with gas (instead of water). I would run a Rex style inline reactor or a diffusor instead. But I'm not sure how big a 20L tank is. Since its pretty small, a turbo reactor maybe just fine - as long as its not a "mini" vortex turbo. My old mini vortex is sitting on the shelf. The basic concept is fine of those in tank reactors

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 07:06 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaimeallen
I have a 20L using a fluval 203. I have good water movement in the tank.

As the bubbles reach the top they get smaller and I suspect co2 dissolution is occuring however many tiny bubble reach the water surface and breaks with co2 being lost.
Regarding yeast CO2 and bubbles... When you set up the mixture, initially there is air in the bottle which is slowly replaced by pure CO2. So for the first few days (depending on how big of an airspace is in the bottle) bubbles will not be completely dissolved since they contain air. After a while they get much smaller. Even if they don't dissolve completely and small bubbles reach the surface it is not a problem - 95% or more of the CO2 has been dissolved.

With DIY CO2, I would not use an inline reactor like Betowess suggested. The turbo jet reactor would probably get higher CO2 levels into your tank, but together with a powerhead that is needed to drive it, it looks rather ugly in a tank.

I would probably keep the ladder, make sure it is in an area of good flow, and run sufficient yeast/sugar solution to get the CO2 to where you want it.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 07:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
My bad, I didn't realize he wasn't pressurized on CO2.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 12:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest
Regarding yeast CO2 and bubbles... When you set up the mixture, initially there is air in the bottle which is slowly replaced by pure CO2. So for the first few days (depending on how big of an airspace is in the bottle) bubbles will not be completely dissolved since they contain air. After a while they get much smaller. Even if they don't dissolve completely and small bubbles reach the surface it is not a problem - 95% or more of the CO2 has been dissolved.

With DIY CO2, I would not use an inline reactor like Betowess suggested. The turbo jet reactor would probably get higher CO2 levels into your tank, but together with a powerhead that is needed to drive it, it looks rather ugly in a tank.

I would probably keep the ladder, make sure it is in an area of good flow, and run sufficient yeast/sugar solution to get the CO2 to where you want it.
Excellent. Thanks. The bubbles are getting smaller. I will be switching to a diy in-line reactor when I upgrade to compressed co2 and when I set-up my 75 gal. This set-up I guess is good for small tanks like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode