planting - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2006, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
planting

How do people plant? Ive always had trouble with it. Do you make a hole, and cover it with gravel? Do you just stick it in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2006, 05:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
http://www.aquariaplants.com/plantingtips.htm

This link my help you.

10 gallon hospital tank.
29 & 50 gallon - High Tech C02 enriched.
50 gallon Pond - Natural.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2006, 05:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
It depends on what you're planting. I usually hold the plant w/ my thumb and middle finger and dig a hole w/ my index finger. Then I place the plant in, then cover the base with a bit of gravel and pack it in a little bit to keep it in place when I remove my hand.

I found it to be a little more difficult w/ light plants like cabomba. I try to use some sort of tweezers to plant those.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2006, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the link. It was very helpful.

My biggest trouble is when I plant close together. Once 1 plant is done, it comes out when I move gravel plant another.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2006, 08:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to TINNGG Send a message via Yahoo to TINNGG
Stem plants are a pain in the butt (another reason I don't have any in my 75, besides the fact that I'm a perfectly proportioned 5'1" and the rim of the tank is a tight squeeze in my armpit).

What I use is a salad fork (or is it the spoon) to sort of scoop out a pit, then use my kent algae scraper to push the gravel back over the roots of the plant that I'm holding in place with my elcheapo tongs.

It's so much easier to plant a tank that's below armpit level and shallow to boot. I can use my hands for that.

If you're doing a new set-up, what you can do is reserve half the substrate and add it around the plants as you go (it's a gardener's trick - fill the pot half full, put the plant in, and add more to fill it up. Easier than filling the pot full and trying to displace soil for a rootball)

My mind is aglow with trancient nodes of thought, careening through a cosmic vapor of invention - Hedley Lamar
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 02:00 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
On stems, tweezers, looooong tweezers . Clean up the stem removing dead/dying leaves broken bits, etc., grasp the plant's end in the tweezers (vertically in line with the tool,) plunge it deep into the substrate and give it a bit of a jiggling motion while gradually loosening the tweezer's grip as you withdraw same from the substrate. This will also work on stuff like sag although you might want to trim roots a tad and pull the plant up a bit after you plunge it so that the crown isn't too far under. Although you'd have to plan your planting and if there's too much stuff around you can't do it, I've discovered that if there is room, with longer roots I can kind of "drag" them through the substrate into place. This means the roots are all going mostly one way of course, but it hasn't bothered anybody (dwarf sag, lots and lots of sag ) yet. Most rosette plants (amazons, crypts, etc.,) you will have to use the dig a hole and cover it up with your fingers technique.

Just wanted to add that a lot depends on the substrate. Some are more forgiving than others as to how well a plant "stays down."

Sláinte!
Cindy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
— 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

— lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 04:22 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to daveonbass
Quote:
Originally Posted by TINNGG
Stem plants are a pain in the butt (another reason I don't have any in my 75, besides the fact that I'm a perfectly proportioned 5'1" and the rim of the tank is a tight squeeze in my armpit).

What I use is a salad fork (or is it the spoon) to sort of scoop out a pit, then use my kent algae scraper to push the gravel back over the roots of the plant that I'm holding in place with my elcheapo tongs.

It's so much easier to plant a tank that's below armpit level and shallow to boot. I can use my hands for that.

If you're doing a new set-up, what you can do is reserve half the substrate and add it around the plants as you go (it's a gardener's trick - fill the pot half full, put the plant in, and add more to fill it up. Easier than filling the pot full and trying to displace soil for a rootball)
This is so funny to me...I do all my stuff by hand in my 75...I'm 6'3". I never thought that height could be such a detriment while planing large tanks...it's just always been easy to me. Sorry that this is at your expense...but You've really opened my eyes to this "brave short world".
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 01:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveonbass
This is so funny to me...I do all my stuff by hand in my 75...I'm 6'3". I never thought that height could be such a detriment while planing large tanks...it's just always been easy to me. Sorry that this is at your expense...but You've really opened my eyes to this "brave short world".
Trust me. You don't know the half of it, so to speak (5'4" here.)

Sláinte!
Cindy

-
— 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

— lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 02:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseHawke
Trust me. You don't know the half of it, so to speak (5'4" here.)
LOL! He probably doesn't WANT to know the half of it. When my tank was in my bedroom, I'd toss the shirt and run around topless while doing maintenance. Otherwise, I'd have aquarium water on my sleeve and running down my armpit. These days I put on a tank top as the tank is in the living room and you never know when someone is going to show up at the door.

I was looking at a stand/canopy combo a few weeks ago. This was for a tank the same size as mine (75). The stand was so high the aquarium rim was at the top of my shoulder, the canopy rim was at my ear. Errr.... Boy they thought that one through didn't they?

My mind is aglow with trancient nodes of thought, careening through a cosmic vapor of invention - Hedley Lamar
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 10:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

Yup. Gives a whole new meaning to the term "tank top." I buy shirts in the men's underwear section at Wally World, I think they're called A-Shirts? Something like that anyway, 3 for 5 bucks or thereabouts. That's what I do tank maintenance in.

Was just in PetsMart today, and there was some type of cube thing which I just stared at . It had to be at least 30" tall, maybe more. How are you supposed to get to the bottom of that to *do* anything? Nice, but definitely a fish only tank in my opinion, or perhaps even a small reef. As far as I know you don't have to do a lot of messing about on the bottom of a reef tank and I believe I've read somewhere that they benefit from the extra height. The whole reef thing is very mysterious to me .

Sláinte!
Cindy

-

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 11:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The funny thing was, when I got this tank, I was contemplating on which one to get - the 75, the 90, or the 110. I decided on the 75 due to the weight issues. Not long after I set it up, I was at a pet store admiring a tank of angels and discus and idly asked what size the tank was. It was the 110. The stand was a 6" tall wrought iron thing. The top of the tank was right at my armpit. Boy I'm glad I decided to go for the relatively shallow 75.

And that sucker was planted!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode