Oh, what a nice surprise!! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2003, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
I got GreenWater in my tank!!!

Yah, well a few days ago I noticed that my tank was all cloudy, looked like a bacteria bloom. I let it play itself out, and it turned into GreenWater. I have read up about it a little and it seems I have similar circumstances as GulfCoastAquarian did in one of his posts awhile back. I recently added a CO2 unit and decided to clean my filter. Well, I rinsed off all of my media in clorinated water, so i probably killed off all the bacteria, which led to amonia spike and the emergence of the GreenWater. I have read about many differnt ways of combating GreenWater such as diatom filter, blackout, and UV, but I do not want to pursue those routes. I want to go the route of leaving it alone in the belief that it will clear itself with time.

Saying that, I want to know if I should leave the CO2 in, and keep fertalizing as I have been.

Reduce the photoperiod of the light, and if there is anything else I should look out for.

Also, I do not have a top for my tank, so should I replace the water that has been evaporated, or just let it sit?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2003, 09:38 PM

Some people actually dont do anything, just let it play out, doint do water changes, fertilizing, feeding(?) or anything. just let the tank balance itself out.

Look at it this way:

Bacteria died=ammonia spike=more food for algae plus the fact that there are no nitrifying bacteria=green water.

If you dont do anything=the algae will multiply=less food for everyone=then algae will die off=as bacteria level increase=nutrients from dead algae gets converted to nitrate=then green water should be gone.

Ask Wasserpest or look for his post about it around here.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2003, 03:54 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
a UV steralizer was the best investment I made on my tanks. Clears up green water overnight and leaves water crystal clear!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2003, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

yah, but i dont have the $$$ for that now =)

So, i should just leave everything alone in the tank and just feed the fish?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2003, 09:22 PM

Am I the only one who thinks UV sterilizers are one of the most incredibly overpriced aquarium device there is?It cost about $5 - $10 to make at the most I bet.The ones I've seen for sale go for over a $100.

There has to be way to DIY a UV filter.

Ernie
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2003, 09:25 PM

PTrader: (9/100%)
Just leave it alone and don't fertilize. Leave lights on 10-12 hours and leave the co2 running. This will also help the plants to use up some nutrients. Here's the thing with leaving the lights on, the green water might actually get worse for a while but if you don't add any ferts the algae should quickly exhaust the nutrients in the water column. Definitely leave the co2 on, this will also speed things up a bit. In the end you'll end up with a balanced tank.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2003, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

koo, thanks for answering my question!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2003, 04:31 AM
Wannabe Guru

yea, leaving it alone is the best way imo

Eheim Pimp Club Member #32
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 04:35 AM Thread Starter

Well, leaving it alone has worked! My water has been clearing up rapidly for the past 2-3 days, Im sure by tomorrow it will be perfectly clear! Its been about a week in total since i noticed it getting cloudy and then turning into GW. Well, just wanted to share if anybody else comes across GW problem, that leaving it alone worked for me.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 01:05 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Congrats! Some things just take care of themselves... no point in struggling

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Simpson
Am I the only one who thinks UV sterilizers are one of the most incredibly overpriced aquarium device there is?It cost about $5 - $10 to make at the most I bet.The ones I've seen for sale go for over a $100.

There has to be way to DIY a UV filter.

Ernie
UV radiation is nasty... this is one of the few things I wouldn't want to DIY, just for my healths sake. Otherwise I agree... if they would cost around $40 I would invest in one, but I wouldn't want to have to spend twice that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode