Surface film - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Surface film

I have a 20 gallon long tank and am currently using an aquaclear 20 with the sponge and filter floss. It does a great job of clearing up the water, with the exception of the surface. There appears to be a sort of film in areas of the tank not directly in the path of the current and slightly around it. It is most visible in the corners and sides of the tank. I use an air pump and airstone for a little at night to agitate the surface and move it around. It seems to help a bit but I am still left with this film.

Should I invest in a powerhead and place near the surface to move the upper parts of the water around? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Last edited by Monatobias; 06-23-2006 at 08:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 09:43 PM

I would do one of two things. One is cheap, the other expensive. The ceap solution is to get a surface skimmer that attaches to a small Rio pump. The whole setup should be less than $30. The expensive option is to get an ADA Lily pipe return and position it so it creates a Vortex at the surface that sucks the film off the surface. The reason a powerhead alone is not so good is that all that surface movement will dissipate your CO2.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 10:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
The cheapest solution would be to just a paper towel or napkin to "wick" up the film once every few weeks. It's just a protein/oily buildup from the food or from the air.

Filstar pimp #59 (shhhh on the Eheim)

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 10:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (66/100%)
I tend to agree with imatrout there. I've got one of Greg's invetion and it does good job but I think I should have went to ADA to begin with. I am getting a surface film about every five or seven days. However, I do have one on its way. For 20 gallon which is what I've got, you can probably just use the existin filtration and hook up a Surface extractor at relative cheap price $9.00 plus shipping. Regards, JC.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 10:55 PM
Algae Grower

What kind of ferts do you use? I noticed one I stopped dosing with flourish, my film disappeared.

**new to the boards. . . finally decided to stop lurking.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 11:03 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Another option is get some Mollies. They will clear the surface for you.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2006, 05:58 AM
Planted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to daveonbass
I have had similar trouble with this. Mine I usually use a bunch of paper towels cause it's fast...BUT the stuff is back not in a couple of days, but rather a couple of hours. I'm looking into the vortex thing cause I don't want to create an overflow pipe for my filter intakes...I'm afraid of the noise it would make.

anyone got a link on the vortex attachment and can you put one on a XP3 return?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2006, 07:08 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveonbass
I have had similar trouble with this. Mine I usually use a bunch of paper towels cause it's fast...BUT the stuff is back not in a couple of days, but rather a couple of hours. I'm looking into the vortex thing cause I don't want to create an overflow pipe for my filter intakes...I'm afraid of the noise it would make.

anyone got a link on the vortex attachment and can you put one on a XP3 return?
If that's the case, you can attach a Fluval surface skimmer. I think Betowess had a post documenting his use of it somewhere.

Filstar pimp #59 (shhhh on the Eheim)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2006, 04:49 PM

PTrader: (4/100%)
Funny, I just started using Flourish again and now I have surface scum for the first time in months. I'll try using TMG again and see if it stops.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_Pique
What kind of ferts do you use? I noticed one I stopped dosing with flourish, my film disappeared.

**new to the boards. . . finally decided to stop lurking.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2006, 08:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
Surface scum is caused of no surface movement, simply raise the spray bar to the surface till it is gone, then lower it again, simple and cheap

Get into the "habit" of raising the spray bar at lights out, and lower again before lights on, and no more surface scum to deal with.

Craig

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode