Wisteria and Sword Deficiency? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-25-2003, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hi,

I have 2.75 wpg over my 20 high. I use 100% flourite. I am having a problem though, as my wisteria and radican sword don't look top notch. My wisteria's older leaves are getting cupped a bit. They are darker green than the newer leaves, and then they curl down a bit.

My sword plant is worse, IMO. New leaves grow in lighter than normal, and their veins are brown. Older leaves are a nice green, but wavy. Some of the older leaves have yellowish spots on them.

My iron is kept between 0.25 and 0.5 ppm. Phosphate is always kept at trace, due to me not having my phosphate fertilizer yet. I would like to keep it at about 0.5 ppm. I dose fluorish at about a mL a day. I also dose potassium at about 2-3 ppm a day. Is that too much or too little? Should I dose heavily after a water change? Also, I will start adding fluorish trace at about a mL a day. c02 is always between 20 and 30ppm. gh is about 7.

So, what could be the problem, and how might I fix it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-25-2003, 10:42 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
How about Nitrate? Your potassium dosing sounds good, small doses more often are better than the other way around (I am just too lazy and dose the weekly amount after a water change).
Monitor any changes after you start dosing Flourish.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-25-2003, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

Nitrates are at about 5 ppm. The only real problem may be the sword. Maybe I am just overstating it. The only real possible problem is the leaves of the sword. Is it possible that it is being outcompeted by the stem plants? Shouldn't flourite eliminate this problem?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-26-2003, 04:51 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
I am not sure. Flourite is supposed to have nutrients, I guess that's why one is paying a premium for it... but you could still try adding a root tab or Jobes stick underneath the root area and see if it helps. Some swords do have brown veins and wavy leaves ("ruffled"). Sorry I am not of much help here... perhaps if you post a pic we could get some other ideas...

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-26-2003, 05:21 AM Thread Starter

No camera. It sucks.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-26-2003, 07:56 AM

A real super cheap source of phosphate is "Fleet Enema" sold as a laxative at Wal-Mart or your favorite pharmacy. I've used it for over a year. It's very potent stuff, however. I add only about 1 to 1.5 cc's a week to a 135g tank with lots of plants. Keeps my phosphate at about .5 ppm.

Swords like to be root feeders and they like a little extra phosphate so a jobes palm and fern spike or two might be a better choice. Wisteria is a big nitrate consumer and will more readily absorb nutirents through the leaves. You'll just have to be careful, make small adjustments, and see what happens.

As for the flourite, I was under the impression that it's primary advantage was it's ability to bind nutrients and make them available for the plant roots (i.e. a high CEC or cat-ion exchange capacity). It contains iron and some trace elements but I don't think it has much else right out of the bag. After the fish have pooped in it for a while , it should become more and more nutrient rich - and able to make those nutrients available in a form the plant roots can readily take up due to it's good CEC.

Good luck!

Tim

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode