rock layout for 125gal (56k-no) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via AIM to jasonh
rock layout for 125gal (56k-no)

Hey guys

So, after a bit of a hiatus, I'm back (like anyone noticed). Anyway, after 7 months, we FINALLY got the 125 put on a stand and filled with water. Nowhere near ready, since it's got the 50w of lighting that came with it, and a cheapo filter for a 75 I had laying around. BUT it has a substrate, some low light stuff (just java moss and a little anacharis) floating around, and some Endlers (don't get me started on that, somehow after breeding 3 pairs, we now have like 16 males and 2 females). ANYWAY, I stole some rocks out of my backyard (sshh, don't let the landlord know) and am having a bit of artistic block with them. any ideas on arrangements would really be appreciated.

Here's the tank...dirty front glass, but just a quick shot. Ignore the rock cave on the right, I just threw that in with leftovers from the 29 for the fish...it may or may not stay:

and here are the rocks:

any ideas?

Thanks

Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 12:51 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
where is the layout? all I see is rocks on the floor.

Peace,
Ry

I raise my sword in the air in the battle against clado. I have been beaten in this battle but the war is not over. As my wounds heal I amass another army, an army with many legs, an army of Amano's......

I thrust my tridant into the mass of medusa like staghorn. I am wounded but I refuse to take a knee.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryzilla
where is the layout? all I see is rocks on the floor.

Yeah, that's my problem, lol! I can't think of ANYTHING to do with them. I just put them in the tank though, but my layout is absolute rubbish. I'll go snap a pic.

ok here they are. really all this does is show what they look like in the tank. These are buggin me, it's the rock style I want, but just can't come up with a layout. If I even had a decent start, I could kinda tweak my way from there...that's what I usually do. maybe I need bigger/more rocks...

Jason

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 02:30 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)
Jason, my favorite rock layouts have the substrate molded into a mound or hill of sorts. Then by digging the rocks in a little into the hill, some people create a triangle with the rocks. The jutting look of the rocks from the hill of substrate and the hill look always seems to blow me away.

Here's an example: http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...umi-130cm.html

You certainly don't need to copy it, but it might give you some ideas.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 03:58 AM

PTrader: (2/100%)
The two rocks on the left side seem to have the potential to create a hilly-scape, as erijnal mentioned. Fool around with them, you never know what might look good or not until you try.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 04:33 AM

PTrader: (4/100%)
i really like the look of the wall switch plate in the tank , but is that safe in any way at all??... what sort of backround are you goin to put on it ?? the reason i ask is , sometimes when i look through a tank , and see wall its like a block , and i cant see the tank for what it wants to be...(ok i am new but i am staring at a 10 gallon with no back and all i can see is guppy fry's) those rocks really are a good starting point, and have great potential... just work it a little at a time , and see where it leads... i dont plan any lay out, and i am happy with most of what i have done.. but always fiddle with stuff any ways...
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 04:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwparker29_70
i really like the look of the wall switch plate in the tank , but is that safe in any way at all??... what sort of backround are you goin to put on it ?? the reason i ask is , sometimes when i look through a tank , and see wall its like a block , and i cant see the tank for what it wants to be...(ok i am new but i am staring at a 10 gallon with no back and all i can see is guppy fry's) those rocks really are a good starting point, and have great potential... just work it a little at a time , and see where it leads... i dont plan any lay out, and i am happy with most of what i have done.. but always fiddle with stuff any ways...
Lol, yeah that lightswitch is a bugger, but don't worry, it's not IN the tank. I'll probably eventually put a black background on the tank...or a blue similar to the wall. I think maybe I'll try fiddling with the larger rocks somewhat off-center and put the smaller ones on either side to kind of make a triangle with the rocks...that might look good...

Jason
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 04:55 AM
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
I always like to build up at either side and dwindle it off into the center. But that is me.

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 05:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

well I've gotten somewhere thanks to your guys' suggestions. Still needs some work, and I might have to go find a couple more rocks to replace some of the weird ones, but it's a start.

Guess I shoulda rinsed my sand a bit more before putting it in the tank...got cloudy quick :-/

Jason
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 05:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fshfanatic
I always like to build up at either side and dwindle it off into the center. But that is me.
I was thinking about that, but I don't think I have enough/large enough rocks for that..we'll see.

Jason
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 03:34 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Looks like a good start. How about moving the two outside rocks in front of the bigger ones.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kevin
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 06:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
You need more substrate to add depth to the tank and to position your rocks properly. Sloping up in the back helps.

Some Amano examples--remember--imitation is flattery:

John P.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 07:36 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
getting there

The last picture was great and needed something with the sand, as John stated. Notice the slopes and valleys created in the Amano pictures, in addition to the balance of the rock placement. It all looks like a scale vision of mountains to me, helps to have great looking hardware as well.

RIP - 55g - Eheim 2026 and 2217 - DIY CO2 reactor - Turbo Twist 3x - Tek Light t5 pendant w/ 2x54 6500k - ecocomplete mixed with Red Sea florabase.
"Better to be shot out of a cannon then squeezed through a tube" - HST
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 08:12 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I think a better representation is the very long tank at the entrace of amano's hq. I don't have the pic right now but someone must have it. He uses round rocks which you have.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 03:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ge...rip-japan.html

Marc had this shot in his post about visiting the ADA. Thanks again Marc.

Last picture post #13 is the picture trckrunrmike is referencing I believe.

RIP - 55g - Eheim 2026 and 2217 - DIY CO2 reactor - Turbo Twist 3x - Tek Light t5 pendant w/ 2x54 6500k - ecocomplete mixed with Red Sea florabase.
"Better to be shot out of a cannon then squeezed through a tube" - HST

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode