My tank is now blacked out... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 03:58 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
My tank is now blacked out...

After a small BGA outbreak my tank turned into a BGA haven. I just got my macro-ferts, and covered the tank up.

Planted tanks are not as easy as I thought they'd be..

-Jer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 04:14 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Wait until you get BBA. Hopefully you will not get BBA.

Dose a lot of KNO3 after the 3 day blackout
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 10:24 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to daveonbass
I still wouldn't recommend it but if it does work for you then good on ya. I did a four day blackout and only got MORE BGA, and man it was EVERYWHERE...blackout with caution.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 02:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveonbass
I still wouldn't recommend it but if it does work for you then good on ya. I did a four day blackout and only got MORE BGA, and man it was EVERYWHERE...blackout with caution.
I dont know what kind of blackout you did, but if done correctley 4days of dark will kill all the BGA in your tank. Everytime I do it it works without failure.

Peace,
Ry

I raise my sword in the air in the battle against clado. I have been beaten in this battle but the war is not over. As my wounds heal I amass another army, an army with many legs, an army of Amano's......

I thrust my tridant into the mass of medusa like staghorn. I am wounded but I refuse to take a knee.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 02:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
Quote:
Originally Posted by trckrunrmike
Wait until you get BBA. Hopefully you will not get BBA.

Dose a lot of KNO3 after the 3 day blackout
And if you do get BBA and you have anacharis, do not dose Flourish Excel (even at recommended levels). Do not ask me how I know this .

Sláinte!
Cindy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
— 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

— lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

I woke up this morning was was sad to see my tank all covered..
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 06:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyChase
I woke up this morning was was sad to see my tank all covered..
Leave it completley covered for three days. I do 4 days though. The only time light should enter is when you remove the the top cover to feed your fish. If your BGA is not gone after the 4th day of the blackout you did something wrong.

Peace,
Ry

I raise my sword in the air in the battle against clado. I have been beaten in this battle but the war is not over. As my wounds heal I amass another army, an army with many legs, an army of Amano's......

I thrust my tridant into the mass of medusa like staghorn. I am wounded but I refuse to take a knee.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 06:32 PM

PTrader: (59/100%)
I was told not to feed during blackout period. NO peeking either. complete blakout. No feeding, looking, no seams or openings..BGA can thrive on the smallest amout of light. And once the blackout os over, dose NO3 and PO4 bigtime...without fail.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh_newby
I was told not to feed during blackout period. NO peeking either. complete blakout. No feeding, looking, no seams or openings..BGA can thrive on the smallest amout of light. And once the blackout os over, dose NO3 and PO4 bigtime...without fail.
I made sure to dose NPK before the blackout last night..

It is pretty tightly covered, and I am not opening it. I fed the betta just beforehand, and said goodbye. Saturday morning I'm removing the blackout, installing a Zoo Med 501 canister filter and am going to dose NPK again.

Should I gravel-vac and do a water change after I remove the blackout?

-Jeremy
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 08:00 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

You should vac all the dead BGA out and do a 50% water change will you're at it. You can't miss the dead BGA.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 04:44 AM
Planted Member

I used threelayers of Black trash bags...duct taped...no holes...the tubes leading to the filters...Covered, and black...the canisters them selves...painted black months before...

4 days with no feeding and no peeking. MORE and EXCESSIVE amounts of BGA. It was even growing on the sides of the canister...on the inside...where there is NEVER any light.

So I again stress that blackouts are not what actually fix te problem...I believe it is realated to somethng else taking place in the tank durring the black out. I have started using Maracyn...and the BGA is gone...the problem is that the tank now has hair like algae...but I am glad the BGA is gone.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 04:50 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
hate the stuff, do you have another home for the fish temporarily? I like to move my fish (because this treatment can affect bio filtration) and treat with erythromicin since bga is actually cyanobacteria. I would say its the mildest "chemical" deterrent to the stuff, always worked for me.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 04:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I used threelayers of Black trash bags...duct taped...no holes...the tubes leading to the filters...Covered, and black...the canisters them selves...painted black months before...

4 days with no feeding and no peeking. MORE and EXCESSIVE amounts of BGA. It was even growing on the sides of the canister...on the inside...where there is NEVER any light.

So I again stress that blackouts are not what actually fix te problem...I believe it is realated to somethng else taking place in the tank durring the black out. I have started using Maracyn...and the BGA is gone...the problem is that the tank now has hair like algae...but I am glad the BGA is gone.
OK.. That is not so good.. Well; I'm 24 hours in now, and I'll post the results of my blackout in 48 more.

-Jer
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 05:17 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:

I hate to say this but I dont believe you. BGA will NOT survive without light. If you bump the nitrate and cease the lighting (hence the blackout) it will go away. THere is no way that BGA would survive in a canister that is 100% dark. The only way that it could survive in the dark is if you and only you had the super villinous cryptonite BGA that superman cant even kill and only maracyn can (sarcasm off).

Blackout will always do it. If you take off the cover and you still have a little, recover for another day. If after 5 days you blackout and its still spreading like wild fire then you have something else besides BGA that you are confusing with BGA. BGA is a bacteria that uses its own energy to creat food. It is an organism just like any other that when you cut its food supply(light) it will die. Just like if you dont feed a human for what ever the time limit it takes for a human to die, the human will die.

Peace,
Ry

post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 05:22 AM
Planted Member

yeah thats what I used...erythromicin, but the name in the store will be Maracyn. But erythromicin is the active ingredient, or something like that. I got mine from Petsmart, from the Mardel company. the biggest pack that my store carried was an 8 pack but I needed 8 just for one dose...So I had to buy 5 pacages of 8...(it's 1 packet per 10 gallons for 5 days, I have 75g plus canister filters, so I averaged about 80 gallons...so 5 packages of 8). Five days later...no more cyno.

I've been up and down with people on this board about cynoBACTERIA not being 100% photosynthetic. But no one wants to believe that. But the prof is in the pudding as they say and after 4 days (3 were recommended) the Cyno (BGA) was so much worse than I had ever seen. And to clean my filters and find it growing on the inside of the canisters, where no light can exist...and yet the cyno is growing over everything...IT can NOT be due to light or no light.

I didn't want to have to use medicine. But I finally did and now it's gone. The meds themselves...are for "fin and tail rot, popeye, and body fungus", so I don't think it's going to HURT the fish...kind of like taking asprin even if you don't have a headache...so I don't think they'll die, but If you do have a hospital tank I would suggest using it for something like that. I DID NOT, and all mt cardinals and rummys were just fine and eating well...and the good news is that the lights are still on so that plants can still take advantage of the ferts...and they can beat back the BGA in their own way...more naturaly. My only problem now is the BBA...I think that's what the stringy stuff is...But I beat that back before and I think it's a side effect of the cyno leaving and the true algae having room to grow. My algae eaters are happy again though. I'll be looking forward to your updates and good luck with the blackout.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode