Wisteria and Water Sprite - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
These are my plants:
-- Echinodorus tennellus (Narrow Leaf Chain Sword)
-- Sagittaria subulata (Dwarf Sagittaria)
-- Anubias barteri v. Nana (Anubias Nana)
-- Hygrophila difformis (Wisteria)
-- Cryptocoryne wendtii
-- Cryptocoryne lutea
-- Ceratopteris thalictroides (Water Sprite)

Since I bought the Wisteria, it has just wasted away. The Water Sprite, too, though it puts up nice new growth... which then just waste away.

My other plants are doing okay, so do the Wisteria and Water Sprite have special requirements?

(Actually, the Sagittaria hasn't done much at all, and the Chain Sword hasn't done well except for putting out chains of new plants. So it's not like the rest are doing great, but the Sprite and Wisteria stand out as the worst.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 05:17 PM

I never had much luck with Wisteria either. When I planted Wisteria, it looked horrible. It grew alot of roots from the leaves and had a problem with hair algae. Just looked like crap. So I got rid of it. Will never go back to that plant.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 06:41 PM
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to Flgatorguy Send a message via Yahoo to Flgatorguy
hmm i looked throgh a few of my books and the only thing i saw that was special about either of those plants is that it said to give the Wisteria plenty of room.......

10 gallon low-tech Betta bowl...for now.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 07:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have a book and it says it needs nutrients in the bottom, so maybe that is your problem?

-Tim

Tank in transition! 55 gallons, hard water.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 08:21 PM

if it needs nutrients in the bottom purchase some (Jobes) plants sticks, crack one in half and stick it in the gravel by it and see if the plant does any better...
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-03-2002, 04:00 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Just remember that once that plant stick goes in, it stays there unless you like algea blooms. You may want to hold off on that until someone verifies that cure for you. :hehe:

Eheim pimp #128, 55gal 13x20x48, Eheim Pro 2227, CO2 injected, into the filter breather tube,4x 55w Pcs , 12 hr light cycle (sunrise/sunset simulated), Milwaukee SMS 122, faulty bubble counter replaced with M3 bubble counter..... moderately Planted, Plantex CSM+B and ferts

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 05:58 PM

My experience with these plants are that it likes a lot of NO3 and iron. If any of these drops too low they will show their sysmtoms within a few days which are poor growth, whitish color and then look like brown wilted lettuce. But once these levels are back to their liking they perk up right away.

I would stay away from adding any Jobe spikes on these, though. You will be pulling them up regularly for trimming therefore possibly exposing the spikes. This will give you algae due to the wrong type of nitrogen used in Jobs. They are great for Amazons and Crypts because they don't get disturbed much. Good luck...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode