co2?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-25-2003, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
do i need co2 if i have real plants....from all i been reading here bout real plants it sounds like its alot of work...more work then keeping up on the fish and the tank itself...is this true...or are there very low maintenance plants that require very little work....i am looking into switching to real plants but it seems like there is alot to know .....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-25-2003, 01:00 PM

It depends on how much light you have over the tank. if you have more than 2.5watts per gallon, then CO2 starts to become a necessity, if you want your plants to really thrive.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-25-2003, 01:21 PM

I have a 10 gallon tank that has no CO2. I'm growing rotalla and micrathemum in it. It has 2 old 15 watt GE Chroma 50 bulbs over it, but everything is fine. The plants are quite a bit leggier than my 29 with CO2 though.

If you don't have a lot of light, you can afford to start slow. You won't be growing any light loving plants like glosso, but a lot of java ferns, java mosses, aponogetons, etc don't mind having lower lighting levels.

Later as you begin to feel more confident you can ramp things up a bit if you feel like taking on more challanging plants.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-25-2003, 02:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
I suggest that you read my FAQ. It's straight, to the point and loaded with good information, IMHO that is. It should help answer many questions you have and many that you have not yet thought of.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode