Tips and Suggestions for Stem Plants... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Tips and Suggestions for Stem Plants...

Hey all,

I need help with stemmed plants. When I set my tank up originally two months ago, I bought some bundles of a plant called Lloydellia (no idea, I can't find info on this plant anywhere). The clerk at the LFS assured me it was a low light plant (I'm running 2x36w over 55G, or 1.3wpg) and would do just fine. And while they haven't died in mass, they just aren't really keeping up with anything else in the tank. Very few of them have developed roots, which is problematic as I have 4 clown loaches and a SAE who love to root around in these. That leaves me to replant them almost daily.

Anyhow, I've been thinking of tossing the lot and replacing them with something like hygro, which seems to be in short supply around here (North Dallas). So in the meantime, I was wondering if anyone would care to recommend a good stemmed plant for my set up, and offer any tips as to keeping them in place and giving them a good start (encouraging root growth, anchoring, etc.).

A quick rundown of my tank:
55 gallons
2x36 AH supply lights (1.3 wpg)
no co2
Ph 7.8
GH 14 degrees

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 04:10 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Hygros, especially "Wisteria" (H. difformis) should be good for this setup.

Ceradopteris (Water Sprite) is another one you could try.

Ambulia might work too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 06:18 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
I second water sprite, especially the fine-leaf version. It grows at astronomical rates and does well even under low-light.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 06:27 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Rotala rotundiflora would be a choice to consider as well. Won't grow as fast as the wisteria or water sprite, but will still be a nice smaller leaved stem that does well under those conditions.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 06:35 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Wisteria is pretty sweet. And for a 55G tank, you should have enough space to grow it. It has a nice light green color to it.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
I'm good for water sprite, though so far it grows more in a clump than in anything resembling a stem. Still, beautiful, and filling in nicely.

I've considered Wisteria, but my understanding is I don't have enough light for it.

This leaves me looking at hygrophila polysperma and hornwart, which I understand do well under low light. What does ambulia look like?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 08:00 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Ambulia (Limnophila spp) http://images.google.com/images?q=ambulia&sa=N&tab=wi

Wisteria can deal with pretty low light levels IME.

You are right about the Water Sprite, it is not a typical stem plant, it is a fern and grows a rosette.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 05:43 AM

i posted this idea i had in another forum , try taking a cotton ball , and unrolling it , and get it wet , then roll the cotton ball around each stem, it dont have to be much but just enough to add a little wet weight to the stem itself, and then dab a little fert on the ball , and use a small band around it to hold the ball in place. ( i used some solid core copper wire i had laying around), then plant the stem plant, .... in about a week , carefully unroll the cotton, and check to see if there is root growth.. mine all had some in a week or so , and i gently pulled off the cotton , and planted as usual.. work just like the potted plant stuff from the pet store plants , but was easier to get off , and rooted like crazy... now i am sure someone will say something about pulling off the roots hair roots, but IMO removing the cotton, and the small amount of root hairs that came with it, only encouraged the roots to grow more.. and now they are all doin great...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 05:48 AM
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
I hope you dont have any invertibrates in your tank with that copper. Copper will disolve over time releasing it into your water and kill your inverts.

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2006, 10:31 PM

the wire i used was coated solid core wire, and only the end was exposed , and only for a week to get the roots growing, then it was removed, but i have no inverts in there anyways.. thanks for the tip ... i forgot about the copper killing inverts...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode