what do you guys do to cool the tank during hot days?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 05:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
what do you guys do to cool the tank during hot days??

I managed to cool down my smaller shrimp only tank with a PC fan, but that would not work with my 55g. The temperature as of now is around 90+ degrees and ive been losing more and more cardinal tetras over the days. Once the weather warms up even more, im sure the tank will surpass 95 which would probably kill off most of my fish/shrimp. So what do you guys do to prevent your tank from overheating?? Thanks !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 06:11 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (60/100%)
hot tank

try a larger chepo fan from boxmart or similar, but expect to be topping off alot. you will only get a few degrees though and if your ambient is 90-95 then you will definitly have to go the active cooling way and invest in a chiller of some type. going thru this with my office CRS tanks as over the weekend with the ac off, the place gets into the high 80's and i am trying to keep a nice cool 73-75 for them. gave up on the fans (topping off over a gallon on a 10 gallon tank after only 2 days was getting old and expensive {RO water} real fast), and went with chillers.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 06:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
I basically gave up on trying to keep my fish tanks in the 76-78 range that I want them as I don't have the $$ for a chiller. They stay around 80-82 but the fish and plants seem fine. I used to do small water changes(20-25%) every couple days(or sometimes every day) with cool water that would lower the temperature. We used to put ice cubes in it, although I doubt it did much.

90g journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SAPS member -

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 07:40 AM

PTrader: (8/100%)
If you have a glass top, remove them. This will allow more water to evaporate, but will also help to cool down the tanks. Blowing a fan on the top of the tank will help as well. Unfortunately, it will probably only improve by no more than 5 degrees.

A chiller is a good, but expensive option. If all the fish tanks are in the same room, I would invest in a room air conditioner and cool down all the tanks in the room.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 08:01 AM

PTrader: (5/100%)
I use a HOB filter with frozen gel packs inside it to keep my 55g cool. I use zip lock bags to cover the gel packs to prevent contamination. Then I use a little fan to blow off some of the heat that the lights produce. I just hope this will be a short hot summer.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 10:40 AM

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Color Me Blue
I use a HOB filter with frozen gel packs inside it to keep my 55g cool. I use zip lock bags to cover the gel packs to prevent contamination. Then I use a little fan to blow off some of the heat that the lights produce. I just hope this will be a short hot summer.
I guess instead of gel packs, just freeze some water in zip lock bags or just toss ice in the bags.

If you don't have a spare HOB filter, just float the zip lock bag (filled with ice) in the tank. I like the HOB idea though, since it will help circulate the cold water throughout the tank. Floating the bag with ice will just keep the water colder near it.

I would suggest keeping the heater away from the flow of the cold water. You wouldn't want the cold water hitting the temp sensor on the heater, which trips the heater to turn on since it senses the water is colder.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 12:34 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
am lucky living up in the seattle area that we dont have to worry about it getting hot
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 01:04 PM

PTrader: (2/100%)
both my tanks are in living room i put a air conditioner in that room and set it to 76 tanks stays at 77 i have alot of evaporation since the ac sucks the humidity out of the room
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 02:07 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
On my 55 gal I built a hood to life the lights up a bit, they are not about 4 inches from the water surface. In the back of the hood I have 2 computer fans built in; one blowing in, one sucking out. This has helped me drop the temps from about 85 to back around 77-78 so far.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 02:45 PM
jgc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My house is a/c, but with the 250 hqi I use evaporation. I have an open top, so that helps. Evaporation is highly dependent on your relitive humidity.

One thing I have thought of (if I ever tried an outdoor tank) was to use a wooden or terracotta sump. Both of those are porous and will alow evaporation through their walls. I can attest to personally feeling r/c (rum conditioning, visited some aging valts on vacation), and have read advertisements of terracotta water coolers that brag about up to 15 degrees of difference bettween outside air and inside water temps.

I know we use cement waterers for our cattle. The cement also allows for some evaporation through the material - we usually have no problem with fish dieing unless it gets Very hot (extended over 100). Of course they also have quite a bit of thermal mass (500-1500 gallons) - so another solutions is a bigger tank

58 gallon oceanic, Kessel 360 tun sun, pressurized co2, eheim pimp #179 - 2217 and diffuser
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 11:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
Ummmm.....central air?

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 11:13 PM
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
fill large ziplocks with ice (3-4 ziplocks) and float them in your tank.

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 05:03 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (138/100%)
instead of using ice cubes, i fill water bottles with water, freeze them, and float them in the sump. i find that this method is most effective without risk of contamination of tap water or anything else.

ac is too expensive for me to use because of the room size and placement. and if it's 90+ degrees outside, a fan can only do so much... when its hot, its hot! when will summer be over...*sigh
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 10:15 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
One thing that works suprisingly well...

If you have a cannister, set a fan right next to it and have it blow at full speed directly on it. One of the desktop-sized Vornado fans works great.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 12:28 PM
jgc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Just one more thought on evaporation. Years ago we were also in the bird business - with about 4000 parakeets. We used a water cooler (swamp cooler, evaporator cooler - not sure exactly what they are called anymoor) to keep the bird house at a reasonable temp. Do not think it was ever very hot out there, even when outdoor temps broke 100.

Likewise I have worked in the chicken industry a bit. Not to get into details, but evaporative cooler are used to keep chicken houses (ones I worked with held up to 120,000 birds each) cool in Texas. The ones I worked with (construction at the time), had no windows, just forced air and micro mist.

Anyway, just thing with a little ingenuity evaporation could go a long way to keeping an aquarium cool.

58 gallon oceanic, Kessel 360 tun sun, pressurized co2, eheim pimp #179 - 2217 and diffuser

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode