Question for Hagen natural plant Co2 users - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-25-2003, 02:29 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (1/100%)
How much sugar do u use because it just says to fill to line but i can't see the line
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-25-2003, 02:41 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
That confused me too.

There is no line. (Or none that I could see, at least.)

There are four tabs that stick out from inside. Fill the sugar so that those tabs are covered.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-25-2003, 04:55 AM Thread Starter

Hey u had that same problem to ya thats what i did ,and another question is are bubbles big that the come out of the diffuser in the middle

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-25-2003, 05:47 AM
Wannabe Guru

Initially the bubbles will be long—about an inch to an inch and a half—and will stick to the middle of the diffuser. After about, oh, a week or so, the bubbles will begin to take a more uniform size of about a quarter of an inch every fifteen to twenty seconds and will ride up the diffuser until they are no longer visible. (Don't quote me on that number. I never actually timed them.)

BTW, I just noticed that you're from Kaneohe. The Japanese side of my family is from there. I used to visit there quite often. I love it there. Life is quieter on the Windward side.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-25-2003, 06:08 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
There are ribs inside the canister, 3 short ones and one long one (easy to mistake for simple construction supports).

The 3 short ones mark the sugar fill line.

The tall one is the water fill line.

Depending on the size of your tank, you probably want to start with the line placed in the middle of the 3 possible output locations.

Test the pH and KH of the tank frequently as the unit stabelizes. I found that it took only a day to get regular and not "sticky". With the charts available online, you can determine how much CO2 is in your tank. Do not assume that this unit cannot harm your fish, it can if your water is soft enough and you filter does not agitate the surface.

Use the charts to find the lowest pH you can safely have before your fish are in danger. Test the tank to be sure you do not approach this number, particularly early in the morning before lights are on.

Once you know it is safe you can lower the output to the lowest setting.

And it is better to hang the unit as high as possible in the tank. In my tank the top suction cups are part way out of the water.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2003, 05:38 AM Thread Starter

OK what would happen if i filled the water up to high cause i think i just left about a half of an inch in the canistre will i be okay
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2003, 07:16 AM

Open the bottle and do it the right way (fill up/drain excess)
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2003, 03:27 PM

I'm having issues with mine too. I set it up last night around 6 PM PST and I've yet to see a single bubble. The diffuser is pretty high up in the tank, about 2" below the water line, but I don't think the depth should affect the CO2 production that much.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2003, 03:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

I don't think its that the depth of the diffuser affects CO2 production so much as the additional water pressure of a lower-placed diffuser slows the bubbles's escape.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2003, 04:21 PM

Blah, that's what I'm thinking. My brain tends to stop functioning the day before a holiday.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2003, 04:39 PM

If you fill it too high, you may have yeast mix get into the tank. If you see any cloudiness developing, run, don't walk to dump the mix and do big water changes.

Really, you are better off to just open it up now and take a bit of liquid out of the bottle. You won't lose much stuff. The sugar is mostly on the bottom, the yeast is well mixed in the liquid, the baking soda is probably well mixed too.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-28-2003, 01:49 AM
Planted Member

I fill my reactor to the upper marks near the top and then add 2/3 cup of sugar, 1/3 tsp of yeast, and 1/3 tsp of baking soda. The bubbles start out large but eventuall get smaller, then get large again as the culture ages.

Even with the large bubbles, I notice a lowering of the pH form what it would be otherwise, suggesting that some CO2 absorption is taking place.

Bill
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 03:03 PM

aquabillpers where did you find a 1/3 tsp to measure accurately. Also do you tink the baking soda is really worth adding to the mixture?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode