Wanna help a newb aquascape? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to seastar0328 Send a message via MSN to seastar0328 Send a message via Yahoo to seastar0328
Wanna help a newb aquascape?

I've been dreaming of this for over a year, been lurking here just as long, asking silly questions and spending hours reading, which turned into money spending and now I have everything I need....for now at least. So far I have been keeping the plants I want to have, slowly adding them to my tank and seeing how they'll do. I will list what I can.

The tank and substrate: 35 gallon tall hex tank. It is 24 3/4 " tall with 3 inches of fluorite. About 22" wide at its widest point. There are 2 angels in there currently, other fish are TBD. I only plan to have angels in here and maybe a pair of rams and some neons, not sure yet.

The plants: I have are 5 stems of Asian Ambulia, 3 small but growing brown wendti crypts, a few sthems of Brazilian Elodea, a few stems of sunset hygrophila, a few stems of didplis diandra, an amazon swordplant a little smaller then a medium size. I also have java moss attached to the lava rock and will cultivate this and add to the driftwood eventually. And my boyfriend thought he'd be nice and threw in some aponogeton bulbs when he was tank-sitting from wally world which I didn't pick out but now I'm curious so they're laying in there but haven't sprouted.

Other things:I have a rather large piece of tall driftwood which is in the shape of a Y. I also have 2 small-med red lava rocks with holes in the middle which have java moss tied to them.

Inhabitants:There are 2 angels in there currently, other fish are TBD. I only plan to have angels in here and maybe a pair of rams and some neons, not sure yet.

Lighting: 10,000K coralife aqualight quad

Filtration: Eheim classic, whisper 30 hang on tank

Ph: 6.8

I want to put the tall broad plants like the sword in the back corners with the ambulia around the hygrophila. I want to get some small low to the ground plants for the foreground but can't find any at my LFS so the search is on. I want to plant the diandra and elodea in the middle by the driftwood and put the crypts @ the left side of the driftwood and the diandra and elodea on the other side. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I will send pics if that would help. I know it's hard to see it without SEEING it. I will mess around with it and post a pic later. But any suggestions on where things should go, what would look best, and what plants to get in the future would be great!

thanks!

Last edited by seastar0328; 06-17-2006 at 01:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2006, 10:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:
I only plan to have angels in here and maybe a pair of rams and some neons, not sure yet.
NO neons with angels!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2006, 01:43 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to TINNGG Send a message via Yahoo to TINNGG
I was gonna say neons+angels=expensive sushi. Truthfully, with the dimensions you describe, I'm not sure I'd do rams either. They'd be OK as long as you got say...2 females or 2 males but if either they or the angels pair off, there's no room to hide.

I would also say that eventually the swords will outgrow the tank. I hate that too because I dislike fussy little plants (and with the exception of certain fluffy ones, stems too).

My mind is aglow with trancient nodes of thought, careening through a cosmic vapor of invention - Hedley Lamar

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2006, 04:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
We'll take care of this when we get together next week.

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2006, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.gaboozlebag
NO neons with angels!
hmm,i would like to disagree with that. My tank set up has cardinals(which are similar in shape and size as neons only nicer looking) living together peacefully with my angel so i think it should be off no problem. Afterall,both fishes come from the same habitat hence they should be able to do fine together,contrary to what most people believe.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2006, 04:57 PM
Planted Member

I have had large angels with simulans (small) and cardinals in this tank for years.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	anagelsandcardinals.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	218.2 KB
ID:	3006  

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2006, 07:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
I think this is one of those "Your Mileage May Vary" things. Some folks manage to have angels and tetras and get away with it, and I've also read posts from folks who find half a neon, or an angel with a tail sticking out of its mouth. If I were to try it, I would start out with dime or nickle sized angels and fully grown tetras. That way there's some chance that they'll grow up thinking of the tetras as "tankmates" rather than "food" .

SlŠinte!
Cindy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
ó 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

ó lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 07:02 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsenske
I have had large angels with simulans (small) and cardinals in this tank for years.

showoff

"If music be the food of love; play on"
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 10:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y0uH0
hmm,i would like to disagree with that. My tank set up has cardinals(which are similar in shape and size as neons only nicer looking) living together peacefully with my angel so i think it should be off no problem. Afterall,both fishes come from the same habitat hence they should be able to do fine together,contrary to what most people believe.
Uhh, I don't think that coming from the same habitat is a good argument for peaceful cohabitation. After all, the fish that angels EAT in the wild also come from the same habitat!

Jsenske, that tank is gorgeous! I love it. I'm also kind of a fan of P. simulans. I think they are the neglected middle sibling of the Paracheirodon genus (I probably spelled that wrong, no time to look it up!). Everyone's so proud of big brother P. axelrodi, and who can resist cute little P. innesi!

Where'd all that come from? I must have taken too much cough syrup or something....
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 12:49 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:
That, I must say is bad advise. Look at the food chain. Mice and owls live in the same place, but owls eat mice. Lions and antalope live in the same place, but lions eat antolopes. It's the same for fish. Would you keep a great white shark with a seal? You might have had different expieriences because no animal is exactly alike.

Last edited by mr.gaboozlebag; 06-29-2006 at 04:41 PM.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 01:08 AM

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Lions and antalope live in the same place, but antalope eat lions.
Haha... anyone else catch that?
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 02:56 AM
►◊÷ Ō «◊◄

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via MSN to conduct Send a message via Yahoo to conduct
Quote:
Lions and antalope live in the same place, but antalope eat lions.

I seen that also I was like hold on here flag on the play
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 04:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
Oh seastar, I believe Wasserpest has a hex journal around here somewhere....might be a good place to look for inspiration.

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 04:18 AM

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y0uH0
Your angels might not yet be big enough. As the angels get bigger, the cardinals will look smaller to them and more appetizing. Eventually, they WILL be an expensive meal for the angelfish.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 01:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

On this subject of angels, neons, and cardinals, I think it should also be pointed out that neons and cardinals are not really the same size. I've never seen a neon top 1.25 inches, but I've seen cardinals pushing 2 inches. Maybe not a huge difference, but maybe enough to discourage a relatively small-mouthed angel.

Plus, it's not just about the fish, it's also about the tank. I could see neons and angels coexisting in a 180 gallon with copious vegetation a lot easier than in a sparsely planted 20 gallon.

FWIW, I kept a large angel (almost 4 inches long) in a well planted 55 for a year with several kinds of tetras, including golds and glow-lights. No problems.

PS, I really dig it on those nature shows when the antelopes run down and eat the lions. That's so cool! (Sorry, couldn't resist)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode