Plant Suggestion Please? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via AIM to SuRje1976 Send a message via MSN to SuRje1976 Send a message via Skype™ to SuRje1976
Question Plant Suggestion Please?

I just put a bunch of new plants in my 45, and I was hoping for a suggestion. I have a stand of Rotala pusilla that is winding up too close for my liking to my Cabomba furcata. The Rotala are just fading away into the furcata because they are both very fine leafed.

I'm looking for a plant that is a little broader leafed to put between them. It can't be too large because I really don't have the footprint for it.

The plant list on my profile is up-to-date, but the pics are not.

Any help would be truly appreciated!

Sergio C.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 06:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
Hey Sergio, how is your HC doing? Are you talking about a stem plant? Lysimachia might work. It is slow growing so it will not overtake the other plants, and it has nice flat, round leaves. It is also light yellowish green so it would be a contrast between the Rotala and the cabomba.

Robert Paul Hudson

Kindness like love is unconditional
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 07:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Send a message via AIM to JenThePlantGeek
I agree Robert, good suggestion!

You may also try Bacopa caroliniana which has a similar shape but grows a bit faster. Hygrophila difformis would also nicely set off and separate those two plants, but again, it grows pretty fast. You could also do something COMPLETELY different and go with Hygrophila corymbosa v. "Angustifolia" (or H. angustifolia). It has broader, very very long leaves - a very unique shape.

I have stems of all of these if you need a start.

- VP & Horticulture Awards Program Chair
I <3 Eheim #195
Everyone seems normal... until you get to know them.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to SuRje1976 Send a message via MSN to SuRje1976 Send a message via Skype™ to SuRje1976
Thank you Robert and Jen fort the sugestions! I really like the Hygrophila corymbosa v. "Augusifolia" I don't have anything in the tank that resembles that currently. I like ithe Lysimachia as well, but I have some Ludwigia ovalis and Bacopa monnieri in the tank now, and the leaf shape looks similar. I'll be updating the pics on my profile later today if you're interested!

Robert - the HC is doing well so far. It certainly takes patience to plant properly, and to remove all that has floated away and entangled itself on everything else! I will probably not break it up any more than I have, I'll just have to wait longer for it to cover everything I want it to cover.

Sergio C.

-
-
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 08:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

The problem I have had with all the corymbosa species is that they grow to be quite large. If they are growing healthy, they just grow BIG... very tall, very large leaves. For a stem plant it is huge. There is a smaller version of that plant called corymbosa compact.

This is corymbosa in my 100 gallon tank that is over 30" tall. It broke the water surface easily. I love the plant though. Like Jen said , augustifolia is a more unique shape, but still just as big

You could also consider a water lily like Nuphar or Nymphaea, although they may get bigger than you like.

Robert Paul Hudson

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks again Robert! That is a huge plant. I've just updated the pictures in my profile if you're interested. You'll be able to see what I mean about the Rotala dissapearing into the Cabomba...

Sergio C.

-
-
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 09:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

You already have a tiger lotus in there. I see what you mean, but I think it looks nice. I don't see the HC in the picture! You could always just move the Rotala to the other side of the wood next to the Java fern. Then the only thing behind the Rotala would be the wood. The plant would then show up better, I think. What do you think Jen?

You also already have corymbosa compact!

Robert Paul Hudson

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 09:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

BTW, I am so pleased to see how nice the Cabomba and the Tonina look. You have not had the plants that long, but the Cabomba furcata has colored up real nice. It really looks great. The Tonina looks real nice to, and as it grows taller and fuller, it will look awesome!

Robert Paul Hudson

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The HC is right at the base of the sword. I'm hoping it will spread out nicely over the next few weeks. The plants that came yesterday all look great and I agree - once they have time to get themselves settled they'll look even better. That's probably when I'll rip them all out, give them to a friend and start over!

Jen, I'd love to know what you think as well!

Thanks

Sergio C.

-
-
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 09:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
That's probably when I'll rip them all out, give them to a friend and start over!
Oh no! Don't do that! LOL

Robert Paul Hudson

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 04:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Send a message via AIM to JenThePlantGeek
Quote:
You could always just move the Rotala to the other side of the wood next to the Java fern. Then the only thing behind the Rotala would be the wood. The plant would then show up better, I think. What do you think Jen?
Yes, I bet that would work quite well! You could plant it amonst the grass (dwarf sag?) or you could move the grass to around the tiger lotus.

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply - work got busy. I can send you some of that hygro if you're not worried it will take over your tank. Be prepared to trim!

- VP & Horticulture Awards Program Chair
I <3 Eheim #195
Everyone seems normal... until you get to know them.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hmmm...I'm moving in a month, and will need to tear everything down. I should probably rearrange as suggested when I put it back together. Thanks for your help Jen & Robert!

Sergio C.

-
-

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode