Question about lighting - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question about lighting

Hello- Currently I have a 60 gal cube That came with no canopy- So I put a piece of 1" thick acrylic on top and set the coralife pc light fixture on top of that- My Question is - I think the light may not go through the acrylic well enough or might weaken the spectrum? Also it may have heat issues? What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 05:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
1" thick? That is really thick acrylic. I wouldn't worry about heat. While Acrylic will block UV rays, it's crystal clear so don't worry about light blockage.

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Yeah- at one time we had a 20 gallon sitting on top with fire belley toads in it so I needed something stong enough to hold the 20 but had to be clear to sit the light on it to light the tank,But the frogs have been moved so I am contemplating cutting the acrylic some and buying the mounts for the light and putting the wifes "stuff" on the front piece of acrylic so she will be happy.I think it would be better lighting that way.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 05:55 PM
jgc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I personally like open tops myself. Evaporation is natures way of dealing with heat (I have no heat issues with 250 watts over my 58). Down side of open tops is occasional suisides (once and a while will find a crispy fish/shrimp on the floor by the tank) That said, it has been months since my last jumper.

imho I think open tops are safer. I think that there is an increased risk of corrosion and endcap arcing in tanks with canopies - but that is my own untested theory. On the other hand, canopies probably allow you to have more surface turbulance w/o wasting co2 than open tops do.
---
of course that might be a safty feature agains o/d of co2 as well.

58 gallon oceanic, Kessel 360 tun sun, pressurized co2, eheim pimp #179 - 2217 and diffuser
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 09:45 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
I like open tops in theory, but with a busy socializing almost 5 year old and his neighborhood friends in and out of the house, I would worry about somebody (not my kid) being tempted to see how cool it looks when you put juice, pretzels, etc in the tank. Just one impulsive moment could be disastrous.

Little kids and open tops don't mix IMO, or maybe I'm just not brave enough to try it. My current setup would require numerous steps for any kid to get the top of the tank open (would have to remove a 24" inch light strip, then slide the glass top open a bit, then grab the edge and lift it up).

Karla
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

The wife's daughter is staying with us (semi-permanently)and has a 2 year old boy-I am terrified about my tanks (my wife thinks they are hers,but I do all the work-she just stares at them and complains when something doesn't look right) grumble, I have watched that 2 year old go over to the couch and elaborately stack up pillows to stand on them to reach to get something..... What to do ?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 10:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by btodd43
The wife's daughter is staying with us (semi-permanently)and has a 2 year old boy-I am terrified about my tanks (my wife thinks they are hers,but I do all the work-she just stares at them and complains when something doesn't look right) grumble, I have watched that 2 year old go over to the couch and elaborately stack up pillows to stand on them to reach to get something..... What to do ?
Two year olds are adorable, but a good aquarium.....well.....you know. (I'm well past the age when I can expect to have to make this choice, but my youngest grandson is only 9 months old, so my opinion is facing a really hard challenge next year!)

Hoppy
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

let me know if you cringe when he walks up to it and puts his hands on it.... the thoughts that go through my head are... Is he pushing on it? how much force on the side of the glass (it's 3/8") would it take to cave it in?oh great now I have to get up and get the windex AGAIN,no don't reach up to the top and try to do a pull-up. Holy Shhhht I need a beer now!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode