I follow a half-assed EI approach combined with a half-assed Walstad method (works for me, as I have lower light-- just over 2 wpg and I don't want to trim often). I dose dry ferts in much smaller amounts, use excel, and am reducing my filter media to mechanical only. I change 5-10 gallons/ week on my 55 gallon. Although right now my nitrates are sky high, so I've upped my phosphate levels (they were too low anyway) to increase the uptake of nitrate, and I'm doing 5 gallon water changes/day.
One reason why I like to do small water changes is to keep my PH near 7.0 and to use tap rather than RO water. My tap water is 8.8 out of the tap, 8.0 after being aerated overnight. A big water change would increase the PH to 7.5 (if I did 50%). If I do small water changes, then the PH doesn't increase at all.