wants to use real plants?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
i have a 29 gl with fake plants and want to convert to reAl ones now...i have basic gravel substrate with small pebble type rocks ontop of gravel...i have sepae tetra,platy,neon,angel,cory,gourami,oto...cAn i still use real plants with this substrate i obviously cant replace all that gravel now but want real plants i have a few real ones i just put in but i would like slow growing plants that are easy to take care of and i dont want very heavily planted i guess just moderately planted...anyone help me get this going i would appreciate it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 03:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
First, tell us how much lighting you have? Some low-lighters are all the Anubias species, Java Fern, Java Moss and most Crypts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

i have just the typical lighting that came with my setup...i will get new lighting if i need to...but not the real expensive kind

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 04:53 PM
Planted Tank VIP

You will need to be more specific as to what kind of lights your tank came with.

Do you know the wattage? how many tubes? What colour spectrum?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 05:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

29g typically come with a 15watt NO tube. You won't be able to grow anything with 1/2wpg.

The plants already mentioned should suite your need, but you need more like 45-60watts (1.5-2wpg) minimum.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

what i need to know is can i use real plants with just the gravel and stone substrate that i have...i will get the lights that iu need for the plants that i get...i just dont know if i can use real plants...thanks
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 08:11 PM
Wannabe Guru

There are several plants that are not big root feeders. Some that mainly use roots for holding themselves to something.

So the answer is yes, for some plants, you don't even need gravel

Anubias, java fern and java moss all don't need substrate.

Do you have any plants in mind that you want?

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 09:33 PM

actually a typical 29g would have a 24" bulb, which would be a 20watt output. still, that's not squat for light.

If you did want to up your lighting to a decent amount, expect to pay about 100 bucks to hit the 3watt per gallon range.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 09:46 PM

Hi snoce! It's Always fun to see a new member realizes the wonderof nature . How old is your tank? If it's quite an age, the pebble substrate is fertile enough to grow plants like watersprite, wisteria, ambulia...(i'm not so familiar with the american names). I've also grown these plants with just one T8 bulb (the standard hood from my jewel aquarium) but to have nice and more demanding plants, most inportant is the amount of light.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 10:10 PM
Planted Tank VIP

Actually... I have grown several plants under that kind of setup...

In my 29 Gallon with a single 20 watt bulb and plain cheapo gravel I grow Amazon Swords, Java Ferns, Crypts, Wysteria (although not well), Anubias and a few mosses.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 10:27 PM

Something you might consider is getting some of the easier low-light species mentioned above (those that do have root systems) as "potted" plants - or you can use "Aquarium Plant Plugs" http://www.aq-products.com and make your own pre-fertilized "pots" for any rooted plant. You could also get a substrate retrofit kit from the Plant Guild to make and inject ART clay pellets or other substrate enriching material into your existing substrate without having to tear it all out and start over.

Good luck!

Tim
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-25-2003, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

thanks for all the replies...i dont know the wattage yet of my bulbs...but i do know there are 2 bulbs...i would like low light plants that would look cool...i really dont want to spend hundreds of dollars at this time of year for bulbs...what is a low to medium type bulb that i could buy is there a specific type i should look for...thanks
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-25-2003, 02:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Chances are the bulbs are 15 watts each.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode