Overcrowded? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hey there.

I'm going to start a planted tank. It's a 30 gal. The dimensions are: 32" long 16" from the top to the bottom 16" from the back to the front. Filtered by a internal Fluval 3+. Heated by a 100 wat. 40 watt flourescent, on two tubes. How many watt should i have in a planted tank on this size? Chek the attached picture, so you can make idea how the exact size is.

My plan is this:

4 angels (until they pair off)
4 kuhli loaches
7 Corydoras habrosus or sterbai

Would it be overcrowded

- New plant guy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 10:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Pooky125 Send a message via MSN to Pooky125 Send a message via Yahoo to Pooky125 Send a message via Skype™ to Pooky125
Sounds ok to me, but thats alot of bottom feeders. I'd loose either the kuhlis or the corys, and pick up a small school (say 6) of a tetra (cardinal or neon would be my prefure choice) and you didn't have any algae eaters involved. They are a MUST. For that size tank, 1 bristlenose should do you nicely. Other then that, shoulds beautiful. Lighting depends on what kind and how many plants you want.. Are you into bunch plants? forground, swords? heavily planted? or lightly? I suggest a minimum of 2 wpg no matter what you do.. but, maybe up to 4 or 5 depending on your choice of plants. http://www.tropica.com is a good place to start for plant info. They have alot of the really well know (and even some of the weird stuff) out there. I suggest checking there for an idea on what you want. HTH you a lil.. By the way, love the steel framed tank. MY LFS has one that im SOOO tempted to buy, but, I don't have anywhere NEAR the money for it.. thinkits a 15 gallon, thats going for like 100 bucks.. lol...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 10:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Pooky125 Send a message via MSN to Pooky125 Send a message via Yahoo to Pooky125 Send a message via Skype™ to Pooky125
I just did the math, and that comes out to be almost 36 gallons, not 30!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 01:12 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah, it is more like 35-36 gallons. It is a nice tank with the steel framing... The light depends on the plants, and you should look into a CO2 system if you are going to go above 2 wpg.

-Tim

Tank in transition! 55 gallons, hard water.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 06:22 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replys. I think i will dumb the kuhlis, and go with 6 or 7 Corydoras habrosus or sterbai and 6 black phantoms.

Here in Denmark it is very normal with steel framing. You get on alost every aquarium, over 15 gal.

Whould 116 watt bee to much? But then, of course, i would make my own Co2 system. I seen better results with pressurised (spell?) but I'm only 12, so my budget is LOW.

BTW, i'm going to plant the tank medium/heavily.

EDIT--------------------------------------

Pooky125, you asked if i into bunch plants. Well, i dont know the exact meaning of that. If you mean if i will place the plant in bunddles i dont know. For foreground plant i would use something like lilaeopsis braliensis or micro swords.

- New plant guy
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Pooky125, you asked if i into bunch plants. Well, i dont know the exact meaning of that. If you mean if i will place the plant in bunddles i dont know. For foreground plant i would use something like lilaeopsis braliensis or micro swords.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 04:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

"Too much light" is almost an oxy moron (sp?). You can have too much, but 116 watts will be 4 short of 4 watts per gallon, and some people even do 5 wpg, so you should be fine.

I know what it is like to try setting up a planted tank on a kid's budget (I am 15)! It isn't easy, but it's do-able.

Bunch plants (aka stem plants) are plants that primarily get their nutrients from the water collumn (via leaves in comparison to getting nutrients in the substrate via roots) and look good in bunches. Bunch plants can have long, wide leaves (giant hygro) or have short, almost spiny looking leaves (rotala indica). They can make excellant contrasts in a planted tank, take a look in the photo section, there are some awesome tanks.

Good luck with this tank, I am looking forward to seeing how it turns out!

-Tim

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replys.

I walk with newspapers, so i should have the money for setting it up.

It will maybe take months before it will be turned into a planted tank, because i would like to see my Neolamprogolus multifasciatus fry grow a bit larger than they are now (5 mm)

I will keep you noticed as the tanks changes from Tanganiykan to Amazon.

- New plant guy
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2002, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Soon i will do the change. Just have to buy all the stuff (roots, stones, finer sand and other stuff. After reading alot of books, i came up with this:

4 angels until they pair off.
10 Corydoras trillineatus
5 ottos.

It turns out to be 25 gallon (am i right?) My tank is 30 gallon.

Would it be okay?? I will try to create a south american biotope. I got very fine sand, and i would like to know if plants can grow in it? I will mix it with flourite. I will have 60 watts of lightning.

- Glud
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2002, 07:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Where are you getting your roots? My LFS just sells the african driftwood and I would really like to get soem wood for my tank.

-Tim

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2002, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

Hi Tim.

I'm sorry, but i cant help you. I'm from Denmark, and i dont think you woul like to pay for the shipping :hehe:?

I get some pretty god roots from my lfs. They are very dark, and you cant compare them to mopani roots, at all.

Is it hard too find good roots, over there in the us of a?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode